Outstanding research facilities
We're home to a large number of world-renowned research institutes, centres and facilities which promote specialist and interdisciplinary research across departments.
Here are some examples of our major research centres:
Digital Creativity Labs provides a centre of excellence in which top researchers explore the rich space where games and interactive media converge.
- The Humanities Research Centre is at the heart of our investment in the arts and humanities, providing a spectacular environment for dynamic and imaginative research.
- Our Research Centre for Social Sciences provides a hub for research collaborations and postgraduate life, drawing together researchers from across our social science departments and research centres.
- The York Biomedical Research Institute is a new cross-departmental initiative set up to expand and consolidate York's international expertise in biomedical research.
- The York Neuroimaging Centre houses two of the most powerful brain scanners in the UK, allowing detailed study of a huge range of brain functions and conditions.
- The Leverhulme Centre for Anthropocene Biodiversity brings together world-leading researchers to improve our understanding of the relationship between humanity and the world's biodiversity.
- The Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre works across and beyond the University to create sustainable change that directly benefits communities in developing countries around the world.
A new way to achieve your doctorate
Centres for Doctoral Training
Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) provide an increasingly popular route to postgraduate study. They provide fully-funded opportunities designed to equip you with the skills, knowledge and confidence you need to tackle today’s evolving issues and future challenges.