Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
- Development Alternatives (GCRF IAA)
- Navigating Risk, Managing Security of HRDs
- Noma, Human Rights and Global Health (IAA ESRC)
- Refugees and the Arab Middle East: Protection in States Not Party to the Refugee Convention (NRC)
- Wellbeing and Temporary International Relocation Initiatives for HRDs
Posted on Tuesday 15 October 2019
We will be holding a workshop in York on 4-5 November 2019 on civil society strategies to push back against shrinking space. The workshop will ‘take the long view’ by focusing on 1) empirical, evidence-based studies of civil society resistance and resilience, and 2) historical precedents, lessons and insights of relevance to current situations. Panels will include human rights defenders from Africa,Turkey, Hong Kong and Brazil.
Posted on Tuesday 1 October 2019
CAHR expresses its concern over the arbitrary arrest and enforced disappearance of human rights defender Mohamed El-Baqer in Cairo on 29 September.
Read more about what goes on at CAHR with the latest edition of our newsletter, CAHRnews:
Catch up with previous newsletters in the Newsletter Archive.
York: Human Rights City
York was declared the UK's first Human Rights City in April 2017. The network behind 'York: Human Rights City' works for social justice at a local level in York. Read more on recent work in the York Human Rights 3rd Indicator Report (2018) (PDF , 1,197kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.