Welcome to the Centre for Applied Human Rights, a unique teaching and research environment focused around the role of human rights defenders in the modern human rights system.
- Postgraduate courses built around human rights practice
- Fieldwork in South Africa, Malaysia and the UK in our Masters courses
- MA, LLM and Postgraduate Certificate Programmes
- MPhil/PhD research degrees
Teaching draws on the international knowledge and experience of human rights defenders hosted at York.
Our Protective Fellowship Scheme makes a unique contribution in enhancing the sustainability of social activism.
- Development Alternatives (GCRF IAA)
- Navigating Risk, Managing Security of HRDs
- Noma, Human Rights and Global Health (IAA ESRC)
- Refugees and the Arab Middle East: Protection in States Not Party to the Refugee Convention (NRC)
- Wellbeing and Temporary International Relocation Initiatives for HRDs
Posted on Monday 17 February 2020
The Centre for Applied Human Rights at the University of York and the School of Sociology and Social Policy at the University of Leeds are pleased to offer one PhD studentship (UK / EU tuition fees + stipend at UK research council rates), funded by the White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership ESRC Network Awards, which is available to UK and EU applicants only.
Posted on Wednesday 22 January 2020
Pushing Back: Supporting Human Rights Defenders and Social Movements in Contexts of Shrinking Civic and Democratic Space.
Read more about what goes on at CAHR with the latest edition of our newsletter, CAHRnews:
CAHRnews Winter 2019 (No 10) (PDF , 1,474kb)
Catch up with previous newsletters in the Newsletter Archive.
York: Human Rights City
York was declared the UK's first Human Rights City in April 2017. The network behind 'York: Human Rights City' works for social justice at a local level in York. Read more on recent work in the YHRC Indicator report 2019 (PDF , 3,653kb)
MA in Applied Human Rights and LLM in International Human Rights Law & Practice students talk about their experiences of studying at CAHR.