York has a long history of welcoming students from all over the world. Of our 20,000 students over 4,000 are from outside of the UK, representing more than 150 countries. At York you'll be sure to have an international educational experience!

Find out why the choice is York

Sign up for email updates to find out more about York.

Get a taste of studying in York through our free online taster courses and open access short online courses. Develop your English language and a number of other skills, and get the opportunity to interact with our student community.

Studying with us at the moment we have 3,625 students from China.

They're studying a range of subjects including Management, Education, Economics, English and Sociology.

Key facts

  • The Grand Chinese New Year Gala, organised by the York Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA), is the Chinese community’s biggest annual event in York.
  • We're on WeChat! Search for us: 约克UniOfYork or scan the QR code to follow our account:‌

  • We're also on Weibo! Search for us: 英国约克大学官方 or scan the QR code to follow our account:

Any questions?

Lingzi is our Regional Manager for China. Please don't hesitate to contact her with any queries you might have about studying here.

Lingzi Cook

Lingzi Cook

Regional Manager for China

+44 (0) 7385 341615

Shawn is our China Representative. Please don't hesitate to contact him with any queries you might have about studying here.

Shawn Gu

Shawn Gu

China Representative


Yinglun is our China Representative. Please don't hesitate to contact her with any queries you might have about studying here.

Yinglun Tang

Yinglun Tang

China Representative


The teaching team here is excellent. First of all, the teachers pay great attention to the students' opinions. They patiently answer questions in lectures, seminars and workshops. Secondly, they like to listen to students' feedback on the course. They hope to continuously improve the teaching quality and provide a better learning experience for students.

Mengyun, MA Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (China)

Application information

Scholarships and funding

Funding, scholarships and loans

We offer a number of scholarships and funding opportunities for international students:

We award many international scholarships every year, recognising achievement by applying a tuition fee discount:

You could also be eligible for the following scholarships:

Other sources of funding

There are a number of external funding bodies that exist to support study in the UK. Government departments, international agencies, charitable organisations and private companies may also be able to provide financial support for certain subject areas. A good starting point is to contact your local British Council office. They can provide up-to-date advice on what is available for your country and you can search for scholarships online.

Undergraduate entry requirements

If you're applying to York through Clearing this summer, entry requirements may differ from those listed on this and our course pages. Please refer to our Clearing pages for the latest details as they're announced.

If you are leaving Senior Secondary School in China with a Senior Secondary School Graduation Certificate or Chinese University Entrance Examination (Gaokao) you will need to take an additional course before being able to apply for an undergraduate course at York. This could be A levels, the International Baccalaureate or a recognised foundation course.

Course-specific requirements

Visit the course pages for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional requirements such as work experience or submission of written work. 

Search undergraduate courses

Postgraduate entry requirements

Postgraduate taught courses

For a postgraduate taught course such as a Masters, you would normally need a Bachelors degree from a recognised institution in a relevant subject. The score you will need depends on which university you attended in China and which subject you are applying to. 

Typically you would need at least the equivalent to a UK upper second class honours degree, however some courses will accept lower second class honours degrees. Actual requirements will vary by course.

  • A score of 80 to 85 per cent is considered comparable to a UK 2:1
  • A score of 75 to 80 per cent is considered comparable to a UK 2:2

Research degrees

For a research degree, such as an MPhil or a PhD, you would normally need a Bachelors degree plus either a Masters degree in a relevant subject or some experience of conducting research.

Course-specific requirements

Visit the course page for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional entry requirements such as work experience or submission of written work.

Search postgraduate courses

English language requirements

English language requirements vary by academic department.

English language support

We can help you with your English language skills both before and during your studies.

Fees information


Find out how much our courses cost:

Living costs and additional expenses

Use our living cost guides to plan your budget:

How to apply


To apply to York, you will need to complete an application via UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).

Apply for an undergraduate course


You can apply online for taught Masters courses and research degrees. You can apply all year round in most cases but we recommend that you apply as early as possible due to competition for places and funding application deadlines.

Apply for a postgraduate taught course

Apply for a research degree

Meet us in your country

Pre-arrival information

Read our pre-arrival checklist and find out everything you need to know to help make your journey to York as easy as possible.

If you're travelling to the UK by plane, you can book your place on our free airport collection service from Manchester airport.

Prepare for your arrival

Student societies

There are over 180 social, cultural and religious student-led societies that you can join at York including the International Students' Association (ISA).

You may also be interested in:

Talk to a York student

Ask a current student about what it's like to live and study in York.

Chat to our students

Visit us

The best way to find out about York is to come and meet us at one of our on-campus or online events.

Find out more

Online campus tour

See the highlights of our campus and city from your screen.

Explore more