York has a long history of welcoming students from all over the world. Of our 16,000 students over 4,000 are from outside of the UK, representing more than 140 countries. At York you'll be sure to have an international educational experience!
Sign up for email updates to find out more about York.
We're pleased to offer up to:
Studying with us at the moment we have 1,514 students from China. They're studying a wide range of subjects across the Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences, and Sciences.
- The Grand Chinese New Year Gala, organised by the York Chinese Students and Scholars Association (CSSA), is the Chinese community’s biggest annual event in York.
- We're on WeChat! Search for us: 约克UniOfYork or scan the QR code to follow our account:
Lingzi is our Regional Manager for China. Please don't hesitate to contact her with any queries you might have about studying here.
Regional Manager for China
Our teachers are professional and approachable, they lead us to the right content and encourage everyone to share their own opinions. Some of them even provide extra feedback sessions or discussions to help me improve.
Manxin, BA Education
Funding, scholarships and loans
We offer a number of scholarships and funding opportunities for international students.
- Undergraduate funding, scholarships and loans
- Postgraduate taught funding, scholarships and loans
- Research degree funding, scholarships and loans
Our Academic Excellence scholarships offer up to £15,000 for undergraduate and taught postgraduate students from outside the EU:
You could also be eligible for the following scholarships:
- In collaboration with the China Scholarship Council we're offering ten joint scholarships to Chinese PhD students who'd like to study at York.
- We're pleased to offer up to two joint-funded Masters scholarships (chevening.org) in collaboration with Chevening. If you wish to be considered for this award you should select York as your first preference in your Chevening application (chevening.org). The eligible courses and application criteria are on the Chevening website.
- BAFTA scholarship for Chinese nationals. To be eligible you must be applying to one of the following courses:
- MA Digital Film and Television Production
- MA/MSc Post Production with Visual Effects
- MA/MSc Post Production with Sound Design
Other sources of funding
There are a number of external funding bodies that exist to support study in the UK. Government departments, international agencies, charitable organisations and private companies may also be able to provide financial support for certain subject areas. A good starting point is to contact your local British Council office. They can provide up-to-date advice on what is available for your country and you can search for scholarships online.
If you are leaving Senior Secondary School in China with a Senior Secondary School Graduation Certificate or Chinese University Entrance Examination (Gaokao) you will need to take an additional course before being able to apply for an undergraduate course at York. This could be A levels, the International Baccalaureate or a recognised foundation course.
Visit the course pages for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional requirements such as work experience or submission of written work.
Postgraduate taught courses
For a postgraduate taught course such as a Masters, you would normally need a Bachelors degree from a recognised institution in a relevant subject. The score you will need depends on which university you attended in China and which subject you are applying to.
Typically you would need at least the equivalent to a UK upper second class honours degree, however some courses will accept lower second class honours degrees. Actual requirements will vary by course.
- A score of 80-85% is considered comparable to a UK 2:1
- A score of 75-80% is considered comparable to a UK 2:2
For a research degree, such as an MPhil or a PhD, you would normally need a Bachelors degree plus either a Masters degree in a relevant subject or some experience of conducting research.
Visit the course page for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional entry requirements such as work experience or submission of written work.
English language requirements vary by academic department.
- Undergraduate study English language requirements
- Postgraduate Taught English language requirements
- Postgraduate Research English language requirements
English language support
We can help you with your English language skills both before and during your studies.
To apply to York, you will need to complete an application via UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).
You can apply online for taught Masters courses and research degrees. You can apply all year round in most cases but we recommend that you apply as early as possible due to competition for places and funding application deadlines.
Meet us in your country
|19 October 2019||Nanjing||
NOVO UK Tour
Venue: Kunlun Hall, Phase II, Nanjing Jinling Hotel, 2 Hanzhong Road, Nanjing.
|20 October 2019||Shanghai||
NOVO UK Tour
Venue: Regal International East Asia Hotel, 516 Hengshan Road, Shanghai.
We have a number of agents in China that can provide you with more information about the University and our application process. Our representatives are:
- Aceleader Education Group
- Amber Education
- Dongfang International Centre for Educational Exchange
- EIC Group
- Golden Arrow
- Hope Study Abroad
- IDP Promising Education
- Index Education Services
- JJL International Education Exchange Promotion Ltd.
- New Oriental Vision Overseas
- Power Academy
- UK Fonton Culture & Education Exchange Service
- UKEAS China
- United Kingdom Education Centre (UKEC)
- Wiseway Global Co Ltd
You can also seek advice from the British Council in China.
Read our pre-arrival checklist and find out everything you need to know to help make your journey to York as easy as possible.
If you're travelling to the UK by plane, you can book your place on our free airport collection service from Manchester airport.
There are over 180 social, cultural and religious student-led societies that you can join at York including the International Students' Association (ISA).
You may also be interested in:
Talk to a York student
Ask a current student about what it's like to live and study in York.
The best way to find out about York is to come and meet us at one of our on-campus or online events.
Online campus tour
See the highlights of our campus and city from your screen.