Chevening Scholarships enable outstanding emerging leaders from all over the world to pursue a one-year Masters degree in the UK. Chevening looks for the kind of people who have the passion, ideas, and influence to provide the solutions and leadership needed to create a better future.
We are a proud partner of Chevening, co-funding ten Chevening/York Partnership Awards available to candidates from all Chevening-eligible countries (chevening.org).
These particular awards are being offered in addition to the main Chevening Awards at York. The top ten successful candidates will be offered a partnership award, and all other successful candidates will receive a Chevening Award through the main programme.
Open to students from Afghanistan (Afghans resident outside of Afghanistan only), Albania, Algeria, Angola, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Bangladesh, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Benin, Bermuda, Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Botswana, Brazil, British Virgin Islands, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Chile, China, Colombia, Comoros, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cote d'Ivoire, Cuba, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, El Salvador, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, Falkland Islands, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana, Grenada, Guatemala, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, Hong Kong, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jamaica, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mexico, Micronesia, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Montserrat, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia, Nauru, Nepal, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niger, Nigeria, North Macedonia, Occupied Palestinian Territories, Pakistan, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Saint Helena Ascension and Tristan da Cunha, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Serbia, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Solomon Islands, Somalia, South Africa, South Caucasus, South Korea, South Sudan, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Turks and Caicos Islands, Tuvalu, Uganda, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vanuatu, Venezuela, Vietnam, Yemen, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
To apply for this scholarship, you must have:
- a degree of a good standard, equivalent to a UK 2:1 honours degree
- at least two years' work experience (including voluntary work)
- a high standard of English language
- commitment to work in your home country for at least two years after completing your Masters degree
- met Chevening's full criteria, including country eligibility.
See the full terms and conditions.
Application deadline: Tuesday 1 November 2022, 12pm GMT
You should apply for a full-time Masters course at York before applying for this scholarship. However, Chevening do not require you to have received an offer letter from York by the initial 1 November deadline. The deadline to submit your unconditional university offer to Chevening is 5pm BST (UK time) on 13 July 2023.
Chevening candidates could have applied for any Masters course at York.
However, we generously co-fund several awards available to all applicants. Preference for these awards will be given to candidates seeking to study in any of the following areas:
- Any eligible degree from the Department of Environment and Geography
- Any eligible degree from the Department of Biology
- Any eligible degree from the Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Any eligible degree from the Centre for Women’s Studies (excluding GEMMA: Erasmus Mundus MA in Women's & Gender Studies)
- Any eligible degree in the Department of Health Sciences
- MSc Green Chemistry and Sustainable Industrial Technology
- MSc Economics and Public Policy
- MSc Development Economics and Emerging Markets
- MA Peace and Conflict Studies
- MA Contemporary History and International Politics
- MA Education and Social Justice
- MA Global Citizenship Education
- MSc Mental Health and Wellbeing in Education
- MA Medical History and Humanities
- MA Community Music
- MA Cultural Heritage Management
- MA Public History
- MA Social and Public Policy
- MA Global Public Policy and International Business (MA)
- MA Global Crime and Justice
- MA Comparative and International Social Policy
- MA Social Research
- MA Film and Television Production with Cinematography
- MA Film and Television Production with Directing
- MA Film and Television Production with Producing
- MA/MSc Film and Television Production with Sound
- MA / MSc in Film & TV Production with Editing
- MA Management in the Creative and Cultural Industries
- MA Playwriting
- MA Theatre-making