With accommodation on or close to campus, you'll never be far from your department and a range of study and social spaces. You'll also be just a short distance from York's vibrant city centre.
Our guarantee for 2019/20 students
You're guaranteed an offer of a room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University if you:
- are paying overseas tuition fees
- are a new full-time student applying for a single room for the full academic year
- book accommodation and accept an unconditional course place by 12pm 2 August 2019
You'll also be guaranteed accommodation for each year of your course if you book by the deadline date advertised each year.
- £109 to £165 per week for a single room
- £180 to £185 per week for a studio flat
- Heating, electricity, water, contents insurance and wifi included
- Dedicated flats for our postgraduate students
- All of our postgraduate accommodation is a 51-week let length
- University accommodation let date: 09/2019 to 04/09/2020
- Student Castle accommodation let date: 14/09/2019 to 21/09/2020
You'll be a member of one of our nine colleges throughout your time here, living with other postgraduate students in dedicated blocks and flats.
Our colleges are more than just halls of residence. As well as social, study and catering facilities, they also offer:
- Support and guidance from a dedicated team of tutors and staff
- Activities and events that bring together students, staff and alumni
- Opportunities to meet new people and try new experiences
Although some departments are located within college buildings, you don’t need to apply for a particular college based on your course. Our campus location means that all our colleges are a short walk to our departments and teaching buildings.
Families and couples
Most of our rooms are for individual applicants, but we have some studio flats and houses available for students wishing to live with their partner and/or children. These aren't guaranteed, but we'll try our best to help you.
As your course is shorter than our other postgraduate courses you have the option to apply for a 44-week let room in Halifax College, living with second and third year undergraduate students. You'll also be able to apply for a room in city centre accommodation offered by our nominated private provider Student Castle. Find more details and photos in our application system.
As part of your course, you'll have school placements which may be some distance from the University. If you wish to vacate your room you'll be liable for the rent for the room until you can find a suitable replacement tenant.
Pre-sessional students (Economics Summer School)
If you're attending a pre-sessional course in the summer you do not need to apply for summer accommodation. You'll automatically receive a room booking for the summer period when you have received an unconditional, firm offer of a course place.
International Pathway College students
If you're joining us as an International Pathway College (IPC) student, you'll live in Wentworth College which is home to postgraduate and IPC Pre-Masters students. Your accommodation includes a spacious private bedroom and ensuite bathroom and access to a shared kitchen where you can cook and socialise with your flatmates.
We'll guide you through what happens next from exploring rooms and prices to applying.
Things to consider
Find out about factors which affect the price of your roomRead more
Rooms and prices
Explore what rooms are on offer and get a feel for our collegesRead more
Make your accommodation applicationRead more