We hope our accommodation will be your home away from home but if you would prefer to live off-campus there are plenty of student flats and houses in easy walking distance of the University.

Finding somewhere to live

We recommend the City of York Council's YorProperty scheme. YorProperty landlords have to attend yearly training, and the Council check 10% of properties each year. Look for 'YorPropertyPlus' homes, which are an even higher standard.

Not sure where to live? Take a look at these quick guides to York's residential areas.

If you cannot find suitable accommodation on YorProperty, you can view a list of local agencies here:

Letting Agency List (PDF  , 29kb)

Short-term accommodation

Most student properties are available for a year, but if you're looking for a shorter let length we recommend our student advert service or the external Spare Room and Homestay websites:

Find a housemate

The Graduate Students' Association (GSA) holds a yearly event in September to give you a chance to meet to other new students (usually postgraduates) and find someone to live with.


Even if you live off campus, you'll still be a member of a college.