If you're already studying at another university, you can apply to spend time at York as a visiting student. During a period of full-time supervised study you’ll have the opportunity to fully integrate into academic and social life here on campus and in the city.
We welcome undergraduate and postgraduate visiting students from across the world. You can join us through individual university partnerships, third party providers and country-specific government initiatives, or as an independent applicant.
You can study with us for one term (typically ten weeks), two terms, or even a full academic year. After you've successfully completed your studies, we'll issue you with an academic transcript.
Why choose York?
- You'll be studying at a highly-rated UK university with an international reputation for teaching and research excellence.
- An academic supervisor will support you through your studies and you'll be studying alongside our full-degree students on the same degree modules.
- We have a wide variety of subjects that you can study across the university.
- You can attend pre-sessional English Language courses which are designed to help you improve your language, communication and study skills in preparation for your study at York.
- We have a range of affordable on-campus accommodation. Undergraduate visiting students are guaranteed a university-managed room (as long as you have applied by the deadline).
- You'll become a member of one of our colleges, with access to a wide range of social activities.
- Part of your study abroad experience is about finding out who you really are. Our York Strengths Programme helps you to identify what you're good at, what you enjoy most and how to make the most of what you have to offer future employers.
- We provide a wide range of support to you as a visiting student. The Writing and Language Skills Centre offers a range of in-person and online help to develop your academic writing skills to a high standard.
- You'll also get to experience life in our beautiful city. It's a great base from which to explore the countryside and other major UK cities.
Your steps to joining us
Find out about entry requirements and what you can study.Choose a course
Read our step-by-step guide on applying to York.Start your application
Discover what will happen after you accept your place.Your next steps
Hear what our students have to say about life at York.Chat with a student