Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>Study at York>International students>Applying and study>Visiting students>Applications

Visiting students: how to apply

If you'd like to join us as a visiting student, you can apply online. You can save your progress at any point and come back to it at another time, but make sure you submit a full application within the following deadline.

Start your application for 2021/22

Our staff are currently working remotely due to the Covid-19 outbreak and applications may take longer than usual to process. We thank you for your patience.

Contact us

Centre for Global Programmes

Before you apply checklist

If you do not know which exchange scheme you're applying through, please contact the Centre for Global Programmes ( before submitting your application.

1. Consider your module (course) options

Find out what you can study.

2. Check that you meet our entry requirements

Find out about our academic and our undergraduate and postgraduate English language requirements.  Language requirements for each department are listed on the departmental information pages.

3. Confirm the dates you'd like to study at York

An academic year is split into three terms:

  • Autumn
  • Spring
  • Summer

Each term is typically ten weeks long. You can come to York for one, two or three terms, or the equivalent of one semester at your home university.

  • One term: September to December (autumn term) or January to March (spring term)
  • Two terms: September to March or January to June
  • Full-year: September to June.

It is not possible for an undergraduate student to only study for the Summer term only. Please check the information for your chosen department to make sure that your study period is possible.

If you are a postgraduate research student, choose the dates closest to your intended study period. You will be asked for exact study dates later in the application process.

4. Get your supporting documents ready

You must provide the following supporting documents along with your application, all documents must be in English:

  • Academic transcript from your home university
  • English language certificate (if applicable)
  • Name and email address of a referee or a letter of recommendation from your home university (for postgraduate research students only)

Some departments may ask you to submit additional supporting materials with your application. Find out more about departmental requirements.

If you're a postgraduate research student make sure you tell your academic referees that we'll be contacting them. Download this letter to send to your referees:

Visa requirements

If you're from outside the EU you may need to apply for a visa to study as a visiting student at York. Please see our visas and immigration page for further information on the type of visa you will require.

Contact us

Centre for Global Programmes