Visiting students: how to apply
All you need to do is submit an online application. You don’t need to complete your application all at once: you can start it, save it and finish it later.
We recommend you apply as early as possible because entry to many of our courses is competitive.
Start your application for 2024/25
Before you apply checklist
1. Consider your module course options
Find out what you can study.
2. Check that you meet our entry requirements
3. Choose when you would like to study at York
Our academic year is split into two semesters:
- Semester 1: 18 September 2023 - 2 February 2024
- Semester 2: 5 February 2024 - 7 June 2024
Before you submit your application, please check the the dates you wish to study with us are available in your chosen department.
Postgraduate research students can apply throughout the year. Please select the date you wish to start when submitting your application. This will be confirmed with your department at the point of making an offer.
4. Get your supporting documents ready
You must provide the following supporting documents along with your application:
- Academic transcript from your home university (original documents and official translated copies if not in English)
- English language certificate (if applicable)
- Name and email address of a referee or a letter of recommendation from your home university (for postgraduate research students only)
Some departments may ask you to submit additional supporting materials with your application. Find out more about departmental requirements. It is important to submit all supporting documents with your application. We cannot consider your application until these have been received.
If you're a postgraduate research student, make sure you tell your academic referees that we'll be contacting them. Download this letter to send to your referees:
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are an international student you may need to apply for a visa in order to study at York. Learn more about visas and immigration.