Visiting students: how to apply
If you'd like to join us as a visiting student, you can apply online. You can save your progress at any point and come back to it at another time, but make sure you submit a full application within the following deadline.
Start your application for 2020/21
Our staff are currently working remotely due to the COVID-19 outbreak. Applications may take longer than usual to process, so we thank you for your patience.
Before you apply checklist
If you do not know which exchange scheme you're applying through, please contact the Centre for Global Programmes before submitting your application.
1. Consider your module (course) options
Find out what you can study.
2. Check that you meet our entry requirements
3. Confirm the dates you'd like to study at York
An academic year is split into three terms:
Each term is typically ten weeks long. You can come to York for one, two or three terms, or the equivalent of one semester at your home university.
- One term: September to December (autumn term) or January to March (spring term)
- Two terms: September to March or January to June
- Full-year: September to June
It is not possible for an undergraduate student to study for the Summer term only.
If you are a postgraduate research student, choose the dates closest to your intended study period. You will be asked for exact study dates later in the application process.
4. Get your supporting documents ready
Coronavirus (COVID-19) update
We have removed academic reference requirements for undergraduate and postgraduate taught exchange and visiting students. If you are a postgraduate research student, you will still need to supply academic references.
You must provide the following supporting documents along with your application:
- Academic transcript from your home university
- English language certificate (if applicable).
- Postgraduate research students only: names and email addresses of two referees.
Some departments may ask you to submit additional supporting materials with your application. Find out more about departmental requirements.
If you're from outside the EU you may need to apply for a visa to study as a visiting student at York. Please see our Visas and immigration page for further information on the type of visa you will require.