Visiting student applications
If you'd like to join us as a visiting student, you can apply online. You can save your progress at any point and come back to it at another time– but make sure you submit a full application within the following deadline.
2019/20 application deadlines
- Autumn term: 15 May 2019
- Spring term: 30 October 2019
- Summer term: 31 January 2020 (research students only)
- Autumn term: 15 June 2019
- Spring term: 30 November 2019
- Summer term: 28 February 2020 (research students only)
Before you apply checklist
If you do not know which exchange scheme you're applying through, please contact the Centre for Global Programmes before submitting your application.
1. Choose your modules (courses)
Find out what you can study.
2. Check that you meet our entry requirements
3. Tell your academic reference that we'll be contacting them
See the guidance notes about providing references: Academic reference for the Visiting Programme (PDF , 339kb).
4. Confirm the dates you'd like to study at York
An academic year is split into three terms:
Each term is typically ten weeks long. You can come to York for one, two or three terms, or the equivalent of one semester at your home university.
- One term: September to December (autumn term) or January to March (spring term)
- Two terms: September to March or January to June
- Full-year: September to June.
Choose the dates closest to your intended study period. You will be asked for exact study dates later in the application process.
5. Get your supporting documents ready
You must provide the following supporting documents along with your application:
- Academic transcript from your home university
- Name and email address of a referee or a letter of recommendation from your home university (two for postgraduate applicants)
- English language certificate (if applicable)
- List of modules complete with module codes.
Some departments may ask you to submit additional supporting materials with your application. Find out more about departmental requirements.
If you're from outside the EU you may need to apply for a visa to study as a visiting student at York. Please see our Visas and immigration page for further information on the type of visa you will require.