English language requirements 2022/23: taught courses

If you're a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability.

You need to show enough fluency in all aspects of English (reading, writing, speaking and listening) to the required level of the course you're applying to.

There are some differences for distance learning applicants.


You may not need to provide evidence of your English language abilities if any of the following conditions apply:

  • You're a UK national
  • You're a national from a majority English speaking country as specified by UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI):
    • Antigua and Barbuda
    • Australia
    • The Bahamas
    • Barbados
    • Belize
    • Canada
    • Dominica
    • Grenada
    • Guyana
    • Ireland
    • Jamaica
    • Malta
    • New Zealand
    • St Kitts and Nevis
    • St Lucia
    • St Vincent and the Grenadines
    • Trinidad and Tobago
    • United States of America
  • You've completed a degree either in the UK, Ireland or in a country listed above. The degree must have been completed within two and a half years of the course start date here at York
  • You've completed a degree within two and a half years of your start date which has been taught in English. You will need to provide official confirmation from the institution where you completed your degree that the medium of instruction was in English.
  • You've achieved a grade of C6 or higher in English in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE)/ West African Examinations Council (WAEC)/ National Examinations Council (NECO) from one of the following countries: Nigeria, Ghana, Sierra Leone, The Gambia, Liberia.

For more information see UKVI Tier 4 Guidance from October 2019 (PDF).

Accepted tests

The following tests are accepted for entry into degree-level courses:

  • International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic and Indicator)
  • PTE Academic
  • Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE)
  • Cambridge Proficiency (CPE)
  • TOEFL IBT (internet based and special home edition) (TOEFL MyBest score is not acceptable for meeting the English language requirement)
  • Trinity ISE
  • Duolingo
  • LanguageCert.

We seek formal confirmation of all test results. If you are intending to take an IELTS indicator test please note our institution code is 301196. If you are intending to take a TOEFL test please enter our Designated Institution code 3065 on your test form.

We must be able to verify your test within two years of completion, but you may have completed the test up to two and a half years prior to the start date of your course. You cannot combine scores from more than one sitting of the test or multiple different tests.

The requirements for these tests vary by academic department.

Check the entry requirements for your course

If you are a visiting student see your English language requirements by subject

If you've not met the departmental requirements

If you've taken one of the accepted tests but not met the departmental requirement, you may be eligible for one of our pre-sessional English language courses. These courses will provide you with the level of English needed to meet the conditions of your offer.

If you require a Student Visa

If you're applying for an on-campus pre-sessional English course and require a Student Visa (formerly Tier 4 Visa) then you must take a UK government approved Secure English Language Test (gov.uk). Only IELTS for UKVI (Academic), Trinity ISE or PTE Academic UKVI can be accepted for entry to pre-sessional courses.

For more information about visas and English language requirements see General Student Visas (Tier 4) (gov.uk).

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions

Related links

Contact us

Postgraduate Admissions

Related links