Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>Study at York>International students>Applying>Visiting students>Information for higher education institutions

From major strategic alliances to collaborating on research projects, we are committed to broadening the reach and impact of our research and teaching for York and partner institutions.

Forging sustainable and mutually beneficial partnerships is at the core of what we do, and is a key part of our international strategy. The University has mobility agreements with over 150 universities around the world which not only provide a fantastic opportunity for students but also help develop relationships between institutions.

Find out how you can engage with, and send your students, to the University of York.

How to engage with York

There are various ways that your institution can engage with York:

Exchange agreement

These are based on the principle of long term reciprocal student exchange. An Exchange with York can be university wide, faculty wide or with an individual Department or School. Credit from the students' study is transferred between the universities. 

Visiting student agreement

We also accept students to York via a visiting student agreement. Initiating a visiting student agreement can be the first step to a full exchange, or a link with York when you cannot enter into a full exchange due to internal restrictions. Usually the home university pays tuition fees for the student and in some cases their accommodation fees too. Credit from the students' study is transferred between the universities. 

Direct enrol 

Direct enrol - sometimes called freemover in Europe, is very similar to the visiting student option, but the student pays their own fees and there is no agreement in place. 

Cohort programme

Do you want a group of your students to have the experience of studying in the UK? The University of York can facilitate a cohort programme for your students. This can be a cohort from your institution attending York classes for a full semester/year of classes, or can be faculty led if you want your students to cover some home credits while away. With either option, your students can engage with University of York’s inspirational teaching and curriculum and vibrant social life. Credit from the students' study is transferable between the universities. 


If you are a USA College or University, your students can Study Abroad at York through IFSA Butler. York is a long standing partner.


We have recently partnered with ISEP, offering exchange from the academic year 2022/3 and direct enrolment from 2023/24.

Short Courses

Our short courses and summer schools team provide an opportunity to sample life at the University of York and the beautiful, lively and cultured city. Courses are offered for students and staff.

Contact us

Visiting Student Team

Contact us

Visiting Student Team