Undergraduate English language requirements 2020/21
If you're a non-native English speaking applicant you must provide evidence of your English language ability.
You need to show enough fluency in written and spoken English to the required level of the course you're applying to.
You do not need to provide evidence of your English language if any of the following conditions apply:
- You're a UK national
- You're a national from a majority English speaking country as specified by the UKVI
- You've completed a degree either in the UK or in a majority English speaking country
For more information see:
Accepted tests and qualifications
The following tests are accepted for entry into degree-level courses:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) (Academic)
- C1 Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English)
- C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English)
- PTE Academic
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (IBT)
- Trinity Integrated Skills in English (ISE) III
- GCSE/IGCSE/O level English Language (as a first or second language) with Grade C.
The requirements for these tests vary by department.
You must have completed the test within two years of the starting date of your course. You cannot combine scores from more than one sitting of the test.
We can also accept the following school leaving certificates as proof of English language ability, if you are taking an English language subject and you meet the minimum grade required.
- International Baccalaureate: Pass English A or obtain 5 in English B at either Standard or Higher Level.
- European Baccalaureate: Obtain 6.5 in English.
|Country||Qualification||English Grade Required|
|Austria||Reifeprüfungszeugnis / Maturazeugnis||2|
|Belgium||Diploma van Hoger Secundair Onderwijs||16|
|Abschlusszeugnis der Oberstufe des Sekundarunterrichts||70%|
|Canada||High School Graduation Diploma from any state, excluding Quebec||75%|
|Denmark||Studentereksamen / Hǿjere Forberedelseseksamen||7|
|Finland||Ylioppilastutkintotodistus / Studentexamenbetyg||4 (Cum laude approbatur)|
|Ghana||West African Secondary School Certificate||C6|
|Hong Kong||HKDSE||5 overall with 4 in each component|
|Liberia||West African Secondary School Certificate||C6|
|Luxembourg||Diplôme de Fin d'Etudes Secondaires||36|
|Norway||Vitnemål fra den Videregående Skole||4|
|South Africa||National Senior Certificate, English Home Language||5|
|Sweden||Avgångsbetyg / Slutbetyg från Gymnasieskola English C||VG/Grade C|
If you require a Tier 4 visa
If you're applying for a pre-sessional English course and require a Tier 4 visa then you must take a UK government approved Secure English Language Test (gov.uk). Only IELTS for UKVI (Academic) or Trinity ISE can be accepted for entry to pre-sessional programmes.
For more information about visas and English language requirements see Tier 4 (General) student visas (gov.uk).
If you've not met the departmental requirements
If you've taken one of the accepted tests but not met the departmental requirement, you may be eligible for one of our pre-sessional English language courses.
These courses will provide you with the level of English needed to meet the conditions of your offer. You can apply online once you receive and accept your offer. Apply early to avoid disappointment.