Whatever your career aspirations, we can help you stand out from the crowd.
94% of York graduates were in employment or further study six months after graduation
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey 2016/17 (HESA) (full-time UK students)
Second in the Russell Group for the proportion of graduates in work or further study three years on
Department for Education, Graduate outcomes report 2017
Gold Teaching Excellence Framework award
This marks our outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for students from all backgrounds
Shape your future
During your time studying at York, we offer tailored support and advice to help you understand your options and plan for a career you’ll thrive in.
The following range of York Futures activities has been carefully created with your career journey in mind. From one-to-one advice and skills programmes to careers fairs and internships - we’re here to support you towards your goals. Whether that's graduate employment or further study, we're here to help.
Discover your strengths
Find out more about yourself, and identify careers that suit your strengths with the York Strengths Programme.
- Use our online exercise, York Strengths Discovery, to pinpoint your unique abilities and skills.
- Join a York Strengths Development Day to discover what you're good at, what you love to do and how to use this knowledge to plan your time at York and gain the skills and experience that employers want.
When I started at York I knew I wanted to give something back to the community. I started giving engineering presentations in schools as part of the STEM Ambassador scheme, which was the perfect starting point. However, there's more to be done! So, I started a non-profit project, supporting young people from deprived backgrounds. York Careers and Placements helped make this project a reality.
Chris, MEng Electronic Engineering
Explore your options
Make the most of opportunities outside the classroom, to get a better sense of the career that's right for you. There's lots to try:
- broaden your skill set through volunteering, societies and clubs
- discover work experience opportunities
- develop your business ideas with Enterprise at York, who offer funding and workspaces to make your ideas a success
- visit the Careers Team to receive expert careers advice and support to kick start your career journey.
York is a great city and the University itself exceeded my expectations. The teaching fuelled my interest in learning and pushed me further than I expected on to a PhD. The pastoral system gave me the personal support I needed to succeed academically. Away from my studies, the University Caving Club gave me the self-confidence and the sense of adventure that carried me all the way to Antarctica.
Dr Jess Walkup, Station Leader, British Antarctic Survey. BSc Biology, 2019
Build your skills
University life is about much more than your degree. Demonstrate your experience to potential employers:
- apply for the York Award, our employability certificate reflecting on your experiences and strengths
- take part in York Leaders training and develop leadership skills alongside employers.
Grow your professional network
Tap into our culture of innovation and make the connections to kick start your career:
- meet employers at a range of campus events and annual careers fairs
- engage with professional alumni networks and find a career mentor through York Profiles & Mentors
- connect with business advisers through Enterprise at York
- gain summer internships or paid project-based internships with local employers
- engage with top employers through our network, including recruiters at Aviva, BT, Deloitte, L’Oréal and Santander.
Beyond the classroom
Expand your horizons with a placement year, summer internship or through part-time or casual work:
- integrate a placement year into your studies or select a course with a year in industry
- demonstrate your work ethic and broaden your perspective by pursuing local, national or international work
- take the opportunity to fast-track to a graduate job and build your professional network
- head overseas to study or work abroad to gain language skills, improve your confidence and develop your interpersonal skills.
Benefit from a scholarship
Each year we offer additional scholarships to give you a head start in the job market. Applications open when you start your studies at York.
You can apply for funding through the York Futures Scholarship to support your ambitions at the different stages of your time at York, for things like interview travel costs. Or there's also our accredited leadership development programme through the Laidlaw Scholarship.
Add an enriching dimension to your studies, enhance your CV and explore the world with an international experience.
Whether you want to study for fun or improve your career prospects, we offer a wide range of flexible language courses.
Work while you study
Gain valuable work experience while you study on a placement year or other work-related opportunity as part of your degree.
Indulge in your interests, meet like-minded people and develop skills valued by employers by getting involved and joining a society.
Broaden your leadership and organisational skills and make a difference to other people’s lives through our extensive volunteering programme.
Connect with experts, get involved with enterprise, gain financial backing and develop your skills at competitions and activities throughout the year.
Engage with top employers
Meet top employers looking to target our students for work opportunities at careers fairs, workshops, presentations and networking events.