Whatever your career aspirations, we can help you stand out from the crowd.
Our award-winning Student Employability Strategy demonstrates that students from all backgrounds achieve consistently outstanding outcomes at York. Our excellent provision of careers and employability support helps to ensure these outcomes.
93% of York graduates entered work or further study
HESA Graduate Outcomes Survey 2018/19, UK graduates
Shape your future
During your time studying at York, we offer tailored support and advice to help you understand your options and plan for a career you’ll thrive in.
The following range of York Futures activities has been carefully created with your career journey in mind. From one-to-one advice and skills programmes, to careers fairs and internships – we’re here to support you towards your goals. Whether that's graduate employment or further study, we're here to help.
Discover your strengths
Find out more about yourself and identify careers that suit your strengths with the York Strengths Programme.
- Take part in York Strengths to discover what you’re good at, what you love to do, and how to use this knowledge to plan your time at York and gain the skills and experience that employers want.
- Join York Strengths Online, our interactive course that enables you to discover (and review) your strengths at your own pace, and in a place to suit you.
- Come to a York Strengths Development Session and get feedback from specialists to help you develop your strengths.
Coming to York, I knew that I wanted to give something back to the community. I started giving engineering presentations in schools as part of the STEM Ambassador scheme, which was the perfect starting point. However, there was more to be done! So, I started a non-profit project, supporting young people from deprived backgrounds. York Careers and Placements helped make this project a reality.
Chris, MEng Electronic Engineering
Explore your options
Explore opportunities outside the classroom to get a better sense of the career that's right for you.
- Broaden your skill set through volunteering, societies and clubs.
- Discover work experience opportunities.
- Develop your business ideas with Enterprise at York, who offer funding and workspaces to make your ideas a success.
- Visit the Careers Team to receive expert careers advice and support to kick-start your career journey.
York is a great city and the University itself exceeded my expectations. The teaching fuelled my interest in learning and pushed me further than I expected on to a PhD. The pastoral system gave me the personal support I needed to succeed academically. Away from my studies, the University Caving Club gave me the self-confidence and the sense of adventure that carried me all the way to Antarctica.
Dr Jess Walkup, Station Leader, British Antarctic Survey. BSc Biology, 2009
Build your skills
University life is about much more than your degree. Demonstrate your experience to potential employers.
- Apply for the York Award, our employability certificate reflecting on your experiences and strengths.
- Take part in York Leaders training and develop leadership skills alongside employers.
Grow your professional network
Tap into our culture of innovation and make the connections to begin your career.
- Meet employers at a range of campus events and annual careers fairs.
- Engage with professional alumni networks and find a career mentor through York Profiles & Mentors.
- Connect with business advisers through Enterprise at York.
- Gain summer internships or paid project-based internships with local employers.
- Engage with top employers through our network, including recruiters at Aviva, BT, Deloitte, L’Oréal and Santander.
Beyond the classroom
Expand your horizons with a placement year, summer internship, or part-time or casual work.
- Integrate a placement year into your studies, or select a course with a year in industry.
- Demonstrate your work ethic and broaden your perspective by pursuing local, national or international work.
- Take the opportunity to fast-track to a graduate job and build your professional network.
- Head overseas to study or work abroad to gain language skills, improve your confidence and develop your interpersonal skills.
Benefit from a scholarship
Each year, we offer additional scholarships to give you a head start in the job market. Applications open when you start your studies at York.
You can apply for funding through the York Futures Scholarship to support your ambitions at the different stages of your time at York, for things like interview travel costs. Or there's also our accredited leadership development programme through the Laidlaw Scholarship.
Modules beyond academic borders
At York, you can step outside your degree programme and expand your knowledge with elective and language modules.
Studying a language or module from another department broaden your knowledge, make unique academic connections and boost your employability.
Add an enriching dimension to your studies, enhance your CV and explore the world with an international experience.
Whether you want to study for fun or improve your career prospects, we offer a wide range of flexible language courses.
Work while you study
Gain valuable work experience while you study on a placement year or other work-related opportunity as part of your degree.
Indulge in your interests, meet like-minded people, and develop skills valued by employers by getting involved and joining a society.
Broaden your leadership and organisational skills and make a difference to other people’s lives through our extensive volunteering programme.
Connect with experts, get involved with enterprise, gain financial backing and develop your skills at competitions and activities throughout the year.
Engage with top employers
Meet top employers looking to target our students for work opportunities at careers fairs, workshops, presentations and networking events.