Study, work or volunteer abroad
A global experience during your degree can be life-changing. Not only will it enrich your academic studies, it will prepare you for a career in a competitive and global job market.
At York, we aim to provide every student with an opportunity to develop a global perspective whether through study, work or volunteering. This global experience does not necessarily have to take place abroad, there are also ways to get involved here in York.
Why go abroad?
- Enhance your employability
- Boost your self-confidence, independence and ambition
- Broaden your cultural and social perspectives
- Conquer challenges, solve problems and discover new strengths and abilities
- Develop your language and communication skills
- Build up your personal and professional networks
York has links with top academic institutions and employers all over the world, but where you can go may depend on your area of study. You don't have to decide whether you'd like to apply to study, work or volunteer abroad as part of your degree until you arrive at York.
However long you go for, you'll have a challenging and rewarding experience, see a different culture and gain a new set of skills to impress potential employers.
Go for a year
Depending on your area of study the following options are available:
- Additional year: your degree would be a year longer and you’d spend your third year at a partner university or employer.
- Replace your 2nd year studies: your degree would stay the same length and you’d study abroad in your second year.
- A small number of departments offer European exchanges for the equivalent of one semester.
Go for the summer
We can help you explore a wide range of life-changing experiences. These could be through volunteering, internships, language and cultural immersion courses and subject-related summer schools.
- International Study Centres: Immerse yourself with a two week intensive academic and cultural programme at an international partner university.
- Summer schools: Study a short term course at one of our partner universities.
- Funding and travel awards: Apply for funding for independent travel opportunities, such as a volunteering project or learning a language.
Learn a language
Build up your language skills and cultural knowledge before you go abroad by joining one of our free language courses. These courses are available to York students who register their interest in studying, working or volunteering abroad through the Centre for Global Programmes.
- Build your confidence so you can immerse yourself in the life of the host country
- Equip you with essential phrases to help you engage in everyday activities
- Make your aware of key cultural aspects to take into consideration
- Develop your ability to communicate when abroad
What our students say
Read blogs written by students about their global experiences.
Ghana International Study Centre – what I learnt
Posted by Lottie on 19 July 2019
Hi, I’m Lottie, a 2nd Year biology student at York. I’ve just come back from the Ghana International Study Centre and here’s what I…
My experience of coming to York as a visiting student
Posted by Laura on 28 May 2019
Hi, my name is Laura, and I grew up in a small farming community in the Eastern Cape of South Africa. I completed my…
My year down under – future plans
Posted by Rebecca on 11 February 2019
Hi everyone. I’ve been down under now for nearly seven months. Though currently, I’m travelling around New Zealand with my brother and cousin who…
Studying in Australia: a Day in my Life
Posted by Rebecca on 21 January 2019
It’s a little hard to write about a normal day in the life at the moment because I’m on my Summer holiday from Sydney…