Global programmes and placements
A global opportunity during your degree is a life-changing experience. Not only will it enrich your academic studies, it will prepare you for a career in a competitive and global job market.
At York, we aim to provide every student with an opportunity to develop a global perspective whether through study, work or volunteering. This global experience does not necessarily have to take place abroad, there are also ways to get involved here in York.
Why go abroad?
- Enhance your employability
- Boost your self-confidence, independence and ambition
- Broaden your cultural and social perspectives
- Conquer challenges, solve problems and discover new strengths and abilities
- Develop your language and communication skills
- Build up your personal and professional networks
York has links with top academic institutions and employers all over the world. Where you can apply for depends on your course of study at York.
However long you go for, you'll have a challenging and rewarding experience, see a different culture and gain a new set of skills to impress potential employers.
Go for a full year or a semester as part of your course
- European exchange: Apply for a place at one of our partner universities. Or you may be able to work at an organisation related to your degree
- Courses with a built-in year abroad: We have a number of four-year courses with a built in year abroad
- Worldwide exchange programmes: You can study for a year at a partner university overseas
Go for the summer or just a few weeks
- International Study Centres: Immerse yourself with a two week intensive academic and cultural experience at an international partner university
- Summer schools: Study a short term course at one of our partner universities
- Travel awards: Apply for funding for independent travel experiences, such as a volunteering project or learning a language
Free language courses
As a student at York, you can prepare to go global with a free language and intercultural competency course if you register your interest in studying, working or volunteering abroad through the Centre for Global Programmes. Languages for International Mobility courses:
- Build your confidence so you can immerse yourself in the life of the host country
- Equip you with essential phrases to help you engage in everyday activities
- Make your aware of key cultural aspects to take into consideration
- Develop your ability to communicate when abroad
What our students say
Read blogs written by students on previous global experiences.
Studying in Australia: a Day in my Life
Posted by Rebecca on 21 January 2019
It’s a little hard to write about a normal day in the life at the moment because I’m on my Summer holiday from Sydney…
Venturing Down Under – the start of my study abroad journey in Australia
Posted by Rebecca on 4 December 2018
G’day mate! (Just kidding, I’ve not been here long enough to be saying that seriously). Hi everyone. I’ve been living in Australia now for…
Beyond Study Abroad – 2017 Young Diplomats Forum, Riga, Latvia
Posted by Anna on 8 November 2017
What is it? The Young Diplomats Forum (YDF) is a week of workshops, policy development group exercises, institutional and cultural visits and an opportunity…
Reflecting on my Erasmus year
Posted by Clementine on 3 October 2017
While freshers week is underway for many of you, my York email account was deactivated today, paradoxically enough. A new generation is in, and…