We currently partner with institutions across Europe, North and Latin America, Asia, Australia and southern Africa. Some departments also offer work placements at degree-related host organisations.

Go global

Partner universities may change from year to year so we advise that you think about two or three destinations for your year abroad. When you arrive at York, you'll be able to attend events and speak to staff about things you should consider when applying to a partner university, including courses, accommodation, finance and funding.

There are two types of year abroad:

Credit-replacing - This option does not add additional time to your degree. Your grades for modules passed at the partner university will be converted back to credit at York. For most undergraduate credit-replacement programmes, you apply in your first year, study abroad in the second year and then return for your third and final year.

Additional year - This option is also sometimes referred to as a ‘3+1’. Your degree will last four years and your degree title will reference the year abroad/in industry. Typically you will study abroad in your third year and then return to York for your final year.

Browse opportunities available to current students

The opportunities above represent our current partners and may have changed by the time you join us in York.

Explore summer opportunities abroad

Related links

How much does it cost?

  • Students who study abroad for a year currently pay a significantly tuition fee to York and no tuition fees to the host university.
  • If you go on exchange for less than a year you'll continue to pay tuition fees at York but pay no tuition fees at the host institution.
  • You may able to apply for funding through the University to help with your cost of living whilst abroad. You will still be eligible to apply for Student Finance.

Related links