Credit transfer and recognition of prior learning
We accept a diverse range of qualifications, this includes considering prior learning as credit towards your York degree. This means you can apply to be exempt from taking certain modules on your York degree, if you have previous relevant qualifications or experience.
This policy applies to all undergraduate and postgraduate taught (MSc, MA, PG Dip, PG Cert and MRes) applicants, including those from outside the UK. It applies whether you're applying to study at York or one of our partners such as Hull York Medical School. It does not apply to research degrees.
There are two ways that you can use prior learning towards your York degree.
1. Credit transfer
This is where higher education credit gained from an alternative course at York, or from a course at another university, can be accepted as part of the course you're applying to at York.
2. Recognition of prior learning
We can assess whether you can demonstrate sufficient knowledge, understanding and skills in order to be exempt from studying some required modules. This can be used in two ways:
- Prior certificated learning (formal qualifications) at a level equivalent to higher education credit
- Experiential learning where your work experience and non-certificated learning can be recognised.
How to apply
- If you'd like to make an application for credit transfer or recognition of prior learning you should contact the department you're applying to and then complete the relevant application form.
- You will be responsible for providing sufficient evidence to support your application. This might include certificates of qualifications, an academic transcript or reference from an employer.
- Your application will be assessed based on academic judgement by qualified members of academic staff.
- All applications should be made prior to enrolment unless the department has agreed otherwise due to exceptional circumstances.
- In most cases your prior learning should have been completed within five years of your expected start date at York.
For full details of the policy see: Policy on Credit Transfer and the Recognition of Prior Learning (PDF , 867kb)
- Application: Credit Transfer or Recognition of Prior Certified Learning (RPCL) (MS Word , 39kb)
- Application: Credit Transfer or Recognition of Prior Certified Learning (RPCL) (PDF , 627kb)
- Application: Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) (MS Word , 39kb)
- Application: Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning (RPEL) (PDF , 581kb)
Biology Student Services
|Centre for Applied Human Rights||Claire Fox
|Centre for Lifelong Learning||Hannah Lyus
|Centre for Medieval Studies||Brittany Scowcroft
|Centre for Renaissance and Early Modern Studies||Jacky Pankhurst
|Centre for Women's Studies||Ann Kaloski-Naylor
|Computer Science||Dawn Forrester
|Economics and Related Studies||
|English and Related Literature||Admissions
|Health Sciences||Alexandra Bostock
|History||Dr Chris Renwick
|History of Art|
|Hull York Medical School||
|Language and Linguistic Science||Undergraduate
|Music||Dr Jez Wells
Dr Chris Jay
|Politics, Economics and Philosophy||
Undergraduate and postgraduate
|Social Policy and Social Work||John Hudson
|The York Management School||
|Theatre, Film and Television||Anna Jones
|The York Law School||
|Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies||
|Centre for Modern Studies||