We accept a range of qualification types to check you’d be suitable to study with us.

Alongside your grades, we’ll also consider other aspects of your application, like your personal statement, relevant experience, and personal circumstances. In some cases, we’ll invite you for an interview as part of your application.

Before applying, check the requirements for your chosen course.

Check the entry requirements for your course

If you’ve faced barriers to reaching university, you might be eligible for an alternative offer though our schemes and programmes. They’re designed to help people from all backgrounds to join us.

Learn about alternative offers

Specific circumstances

We treat applicants as fairly as possible to help everyone thrive at university. We won't treat you less favourably on the grounds of age, race, nationality, faith, disability, sexual orientation, gender, marital or parental status, political belief, or social or economic class.

We also accept a wide range of international qualification types, depending on your chosen course.

Find the accepted requirements for your country

If you're a non-native English-speaking applicant, we’ll also ask for evidence of your English language ability.

Learn about English language requirements

If you don't meet our entry requirements, York’s international pathway courses can help you secure a place to study with us.

Learn about international pathway courses

We often accept pathway courses from other institutions, too. For more information, email ug-admissions@york.ac.uk with the name of the pathway course you’re taking, and the course you’d like to study at York.

You may not need the same academic qualifications as school-leaving applicants. You’ll need to demonstrate enthusiasm, and recent experience of studying, and may also need work or subject expertise.

Learn about further support

If you need to gain experience of recent study, you can study for credit with our Centre for Lifelong Learning. CLL courses are part time, and designed to offer you a pathway to further study.

You may find it helpful to contact the appropriate Admissions Tutor in your chosen academic department, who can give more details of their entry policies. You can find their details on our course pages.

Find department course contacts

When you apply on UCAS, there’ll be an option to let us know if you’re a care leaver. Providing this information won’t affect your application – we’ll use it to reach out to you about any extra support you might like.

We also offer support to estranged students, and to students who are living (or have lived) in a Foyer.

We encourage you to get in touch with our Access and Outreach Manager, Vanessa Conman (outreach-independent-student@york.ac.uk), before you join us. Vanessa can give you information and advice about our courses, accommodation, finance and other support.

Our Student Support and Advice Coordinator, Dan Hall, will get in touch with you before you start your course, and throughout your studies, to see what other support we can give you.

Learn about further support

You might also like to look at our York Access Scheme and other alternative offers, which let you provide more information for us to take into consideration in your application.

Learn about alternative offers

We encourage you to let us know of any additional needs when you apply, so we can start a conversation about extra support and adjustments. You can also provide this information later in the process, like when you’re confirming your place to study at York.

Anything you disclose won’t affect the academic assessment of your application, and will be handled in the strictest of confidence in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

Some disabilities may preclude entry to certain courses, like Medicine. If so, any information provided will only be taken into account if we’re unable to make the adjustments required for the course you're applying to.

Learn more about our disability services

We welcome refugees and asylum seekers living in the UK. As a University of Sanctuary, we have a history of being a place of safety for people caught up in conflict and in need of refuge.

As refugees and asylum seekers come to us from a variety of backgrounds, and with various qualifications and experience, each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you have already been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England (gov.uk). You may also be eligible for an Equal Access Scholarship.

You might be eligible for an alternative offer to study with us. They take into account any personal, domestic or social barriers to your progression to university.

They’re also designed to open university up to applicants from backgrounds underrepresented in higher education.

Learn about alternative offers

Before you join us, we’ll invite you to a meeting online or in person to discuss your transition to university-level study, and any extra support you need.

You'll need to nominate a UK-based adult to confirm they’ll remain legally responsible for you until your 18th birthday. They’ll also need to accept responsibility for the contractual obligations you enter into with the University.

There may be some limitations on the accommodation available to younger students.

Learn more about accommodation

It’s sometimes possible to transfer from another university directly into 2nd Year; it’s not possible to transfer into 3rd Year or 4th Year. Get in touch with your chosen academic department to discuss your options.

Find department course contacts

Learn about credit transfer, and recognition of prior learning

Every UK student has the right to appeal their grades – but make sure you check government guidance to understand the potential outcomes.

If you decide to appeal your grades, let us know straight away at ug-admissions@york.ac.uk. Include your UCAS Personal ID, the subject and qualification you're appealing, and when you expect the appeal outcome.

We may not be able to hold your place while we wait for appeal outcomes. We won't receive revised any grades automatically, so make sure to tell us of any decisions.

The latest we can hold places is usually around the start of September, depending on your course. In some circumstances, we may offer you a deferred place.

Your school or college can submit a formal appeal on your behalf, or otherwise give more advice and information. If you're a private student, a mature student or homeschooled, you can appeal directly to the awarding organisation.