Contextual offers for 2020 entry
Contextual offers aim to provide a fair chance of getting into York. They allow us to look at more than exam results in the application process, for example if you're from an area in the UK with lower progression to university or you've spent time in care.
Why have contextual offers?
Not everyone has had an equal opportunity to demonstrate their ability at school or college. Barriers can include the type of school you attended, where you live and other social and economic factors. Contextual offers promote fairness - they allow us to look at more than just exam results to assess potential and recognise achievements in context.
We know that talented students can achieve their potential whatever their background or family circumstances. We strive for a diverse student community which reflects our society - as we believe this will benefit everyone.
What is a contextual offer?
Contextual offers are a reduced offer of one or two grades below our typical entry requirements for UK undergraduate students. You could be eligible if any of the following applies to you:
- you live in a UK area with low progression to university
- you’ve spent time in local authority care (such as foster or residential care).
How do I apply?
You apply to York in the normal way via UCAS. We'll take your circumstances into account when we assess your application.
Find out what happens after you apply including how to track your application and information about the selection process.
Information for care leavers
- Your application: when you apply via UCAS there is an option to let us know that you’re a care leaver. If you answer yes to this question, we'll get in touch with you to find out whether you need any additional support.
- Funding: a Care Leavers and Estranged Students Bursary is available to help with tuition fees and living costs
- Accommodation: we also offer flexible accommodation contracts.
If you've got any questions you can contact our dedicated contact Joanna Paluch-Edwards at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What else is on offer?
York Access Scheme
Have you faced social, personal or educational challenges which have affected your performance in education? You could be eligible for our York Access Scheme which means you can provide additional information about your circumstances. These will be considered alongside your UCAS application and you could receive a reduced offer.
Taken part in any of these preparing for university programmes?
If you've taken part in any of these activities you could also be eligible for a reduced offer:
- Next Step York
- Realising Opportunities
- Pathways to Medicine (hyms.ac.uk)
- Pathways to STEM
- Accents, attitudes and identity (free online course)
- Exploring everyday chemistry (free online course)
- Exploring Stone Age archaeology (free online course)
You should indicate which programme you took part in on your UCAS application.