To apply for a place at York, you must complete an application through UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).

Applications for 2023


  • 15 October 2022: The closing date for Medicine applicants for Hull York Medical School.
  • 25 January 2023: The deadline for equal consideration for all other courses (not Medicine - Hull York Medical School). We'll consider applications received after this date if places are available. We cannot guarantee applications submitted after 26 January deadline will be given the same level of consideration as those which arrive by 25 January.
  • 23 February 2023: UCAS Extra opens. If you've used all five choices, and you're not holding any offers, you can add another choice using Extra.
  • 30 June 2023: The deadline for late applications - although we recommend you apply as early as possible. Applications received after this date will be considered in Clearing.

Applying through UCAS

The UCAS code for York is Y50 and H75 for Hull York Medical School.

You will need to pay UCAS an application fee of £22.50 if you’re applying to just one course, or £27 for multiple courses and for late applications sent after 30 June.

Apply now (

If you're applying through your school or college

  • You will complete your application online and submit it to a member of staff at your school or college.
  • After checking the details and adding a reference, your school or college will submit the application to UCAS.

If you're applying independently

If you're not at a school or college registered with UCAS then you will need to apply online independently.

  • You will be responsible for finding someone who is willing to give you an academic reference.
  • UCAS will notify you when the reference is complete.
  • You can then complete and submit your application.

Apply through an agent (international applicants)

If you're an international applicant and you are not able to apply through your school or college, you may either apply independently or through an agent.

International pathway courses

For some of our degree courses, if you do not meet the entry requirements, you can prepare via an international pathways course in York or London. If you successfully complete the course to the required level, you will be guaranteed a place on your chosen degree at York.

Applicants with specific circumstances

Contact us

If you have any questions about the application process, our Admissions team will be happy to help.

Undergraduate Admissions
+44 (0)1904 324000

We're committed to providing an accessible environment for students with additional requirements.

We believe those with disabilities should have access to the full range of academic, cultural and social activities on offer at York. We will undertake all reasonable steps to meet both the general need for access and the specific needs of individuals with disabilities.

If you have additional requirements, we encourage you to declare it in your application so that we can contact you and identify appropriate solutions where applicable. If you choose not to disclose your disability in your application, you can provide this information later in the process, eg when an offer of a place is received. Information regarding disability has no bearing on the academic assessment of your application.

The information provided is also used by the Higher Education Statistics Agency to monitor rates of participation in Higher Education by particular groups of people, which is a statutory requirement. All information will be handled in the strictest of confidence and in accordance with the Data Protection Act.

Certain disabilities may preclude entry to certain courses, eg Medicine. The information provided will only be taken into account in the admissions process if it appears we will be unable to make the adjustments required for the course you're applying to.

Mature students come to us from a wide variety of backgrounds and with a range of qualifications and experience. You may not need to have the same academic qualifications as school-leaving applicants. You will need to show enthusiasm, have recent experience of studying, and may also need work or subject expertise.

If you need to gain experience of recent study, you can study for credit with our Centre for Lifelong Learning. The courses are part time, and designed to offer you a pathway to further study.

Our departments have a great deal of experience in advising mature students, and you may find it helpful to contact the appropriate Admissions Tutor, who will be able to give details of entry policies. Their contact details are available on the course pages.

York welcomes refugees and asylum seekers currently living in the UK. We are committed to removing barriers to equality through education and have a history of being a place of safety for people caught up in conflict and in need of refuge.

Refugees and asylum seekers come to us from a wide variety of backgrounds and with a range of qualifications and experience. Each application is considered on a case-by-case basis.

If you are seeking refuge in the UK, you may be eligible for an Equal Access Scholarship. If you have already been granted Refugee Status or Humanitarian Protection Status, you can apply for financial support from Student Finance England (

If you've experienced issues of a personal, social or domestic nature that have affected your studies, or your ability to meet our published entry requirements, we'd encourage you to let us know by completing our Mitigating Circumstances form.

Depending on your circumstances you may find applying to the York Access Scheme more appropriate. This scheme also gives you the opportunity to let us know about any circumstances that may affect your progression to university, but is particularly appropriate for applicants from backgrounds that are underrepresented in higher education.

Related links:



York considers applicants on the basis of academic attainment and potential to benefit from the course they apply for, irrespective of age on entry.

If you'll be under the age of 18 at the point of entry, you should be aware of the following:

  • You'll be studying in an adult environment.
  • There may be some limitations on the options for accommodation available to younger students.
  • You'll also need to nominate an appropriate UK-based adult to confirm that they will remain legally responsible for you until your 18th birthday. They will also need to accept responsibility for the contractual obligations that you enter into with the University.
  • You'll be invited to attend a meeting (or online call if you're an international student) to discuss your transition to University-level study to help make sure you have the support you need to adjust and succeed (compulsory if you're age 16 and optional if you're age 17 at the point of entry).

It is possible to transfer from another university directly into the second year for some departments. Check with the relevant department for more information.

Third and fourth year transfers are not possible in any department.

Single point of contact

You'll have access to a single point of contact both before you get here and during your studies at York. They can explain the different course types and offer advice on which course might be right for you. You can contact them before you apply, when you apply and throughout your time at York.

Care leavers' and estranged students' contact

Fran Hornsby, Student Support and Advice Coordinator 

Care leavers

When you apply via UCAS, there is an option to let us know that you’re a care leaver. This question is asked because universities recognise that young people who have been in care may face different barriers as other young people.

If you answer ‘yes’ to this question, UCAS will let us know, and we will get in touch to find out whether you need any additional support. Providing this information will not affect your application to York. If you didn't answer ‘yes’ to this question, it doesn't mean you can't access additional support – you just need to let us know.

If you’re not a care leaver but you're studying without family support

We also offer support to students who are currently living, or have previously lived, in a Foyer, and estranged students. We won’t get this information from UCAS, so please get in touch with us, and we will provide you with the same level of advice and support.

Access scheme

You may also be interested in applying to the York Access Scheme. It is designed to help applicants who have faced challenging circumstances. It allows you to provide additional information which will be considered alongside your UCAS application.

Related links:

Useful resources

For further guidance and useful information on the application process visit:

Contact us

If you have any questions about the application process, our Admissions team will be happy to help.

Undergraduate Admissions
+44 (0)1904 324000