Visas and immigration

If you are from outside the EU you may need to apply for a visa in order to become a full-time student in the UK. Students on a Tier 4 Visa are not currently permitted to study part-time at York.

Find out whether you will need a visa, how to apply and what documents you may need:

Get immigration advice

For general information see UK Visas and Immigration (

Information for EU students.  Find out more about Brexit and the implications for studying in the UK.

Getting your confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS)

If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You can request your CAS after you have accepted an offer. We can issue your CAS once your offer becomes unconditional, and not longer than six months before your course starts.

For September 2020 entry the deadline to apply for your CAS is 11.59pm GMT, 12 October 2020.

For Masters students - Tier 4 visa pilot

We're part of the Tier 4 pilot scheme for Masters students.

It also provides greater support for students who wish to switch to a work visa and take up a graduate role, by allowing them to remain in the UK for six months after they have finished their course.

York was selected by the Home Office, as our visa refusal rates are consistently the lowest in the region.

More information

Find out more about visas and immigration

Contact us

Immigration Advice Service
+44 (0)1904 324140

Contact us

Immigration Advice Service
+44 (0)1904 324140