We'll guide you through what happens after you've submitted your application.
UCAS will send us your application. Each academic department handles applications differently, so you may hear next directly from the department, the Admissions team, or from UCAS.
Already received an offer? Congratulations! Check out your next steps as an offer holder.
1. Track your application
You can track the progress of your application and respond to offers on UCAS Track.
- UCAS Track (track.ucas.com)
2. The selection process
Here at York, it's not just about your grades - we consider your whole application because we’re interested in the whole person. Our offers are made based on your potential to succeed and develop within our academic community. This means we'll consider all aspects of your application including your qualifications profile and any other relevant experience.
Some departments interview, either formally or informally, and if this is the case we will contact you directly.
If you submit your application before 26 January 2022 you should receive a decision from us by 19 May 2022. You'll receive one of three decisions:
- conditional - you still need to meet some or all of the conditions of your offer
- unconditional - you've got a place, although there might still be some things to arrange or documents to provide
- unsuccessful - if you've used all five choices and you're not holding any offers you may be able to add another choice in UCAS Extra (ucas.com) from February. Or if you haven't used all five choices you can add more.
If we offer you a place:
- You may be asked to meet conditions, usually predominantly based on your qualifications.
- Once you've received decisions from all your university choices you will be asked to choose a firm (first) choice of university and an insurance (second) choice.
- Once you have an offer from us, we will give you access to You@York (excluding Hull York Medical School students). Here you can track the progress of your application and upload supporting documents. If you are an international applicant you can request your CAS.
- We recommend that you read the Terms and conditions relating to your offer (PDF , 155kb)
Can I request a deferral?
All departments are willing to consider applications for deferred entry. If you would like us to reconsider your application for an alternative year of entry, let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Can I transfer course?
Find out about transferring to York from another university and how you could use prior learning as credit towards your York degree:
What happens if I'm unsuccessful?
Unfortunately, some applicants may not receive an offer from us. If we don't offer you a place we'll provide feedback via UCAS Track. In some cases, we may be able to make you an offer on an alternative course.
3. Come to a visit day
To help you get to know us better you can come and meet us.
- How to meet us
- Online campus tour
You can also subscribe to our event emails for booking alerts and the latest updates:
4. Apply for accommodation
You'll be able to apply online in the spring, after you've accepted York as your firm (first) choice or insurance (second) choice.
You're guaranteed a room in University accommodation during your first year if you accept York as your firm (first) or insurance (second) choice and apply for accommodation by our published deadline date.
Our accommodation application system for 2022/23 will be open from early 2022 (exact date is to be confirmed) - explore your options.
5. Apply for your Student Visa (international students)
If you require a Student Visa to study in the UK, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You can request your CAS after you have accepted an offer. We can issue your CAS once your offer becomes unconditional and not longer than six months before your course starts.
The deadline to apply for your CAS is 11.59pm BST, 14 September 2022.
6. Receive your results
Depending on your qualification your results will come out at various times in July and August. We'll update this page when the dates for 2022 results are confirmed.
7. Confirm your place
When you receive your exam results, or if you already have them, and you meet the conditions of your offer - we can then confirm your place at York. Please note that we can only confirm your place based on your official results - we cannot make any decisions based on 'provisional' results. Even if you don't meet the conditions you should still check UCAS Track as we may still be able to confirm your place or offer you a place on an alternative course.
- The conditions of your offer must be met by 31 August in the application cycle (this also applies to deferred entry applications). If your results are received after 31 August, we may be able to confirm places but this will depend on availability.
- If your application is unsuccessful, and your grades are subsequently changed (due to a remark, for example), the University cannot guarantee to reverse the original decision. Acceptance would be at the University’s discretion and may be for a different entry point than the original offer.
8. Welcome to York
Congratulations on getting your place at York!
The academic year will start on 26 September 2022.