We'll guide you through what happens after you've submitted your application.
UCAS will send us your application. Each academic department handles applications differently, so you may hear next directly from the department, the Admissions team, or from UCAS.
Already received an offer? Congratulations! Check out your next steps as an offer holder.
1. Track your application
You can track the progress of your application and respond to offers on UCAS Track.
- UCAS Track (track.ucas.com)
2. The selection process
If you submit your application before 15 January 2021 you should receive a decision from us by 31 March 2021. You'll receive one of three decisions:
- conditional - you still need to meet some or all of the conditions of your offer
- unconditional - you've got a place, although there might still be some things to arrange or documents to provide
- unsuccessful - if you've used all five choices and you're not holding any offers you may be able to add another choice in UCAS Extra (ucas.com) from February. Or if you haven't used all five choices you can add more.
Here at York, it's not just about your grades - we consider your whole application because we’re interested in the whole person. Our offers are made based on your potential to succeed and develop within our academic community. This means we'll consider all aspects of your application including your qualifications profile and any other relevant experience.
Some departments interview, either formally or informally, and if this is the case we will contact you directly.
If we offer you a place:
- You may be asked to meet conditions, usually predominantly based on your qualifications.
- Once you've received decisions from all your university choices you will be asked to choose a firm (first) choice of university and an insurance (second) choice.
- Once you have an offer from us, we will give you access to You@York (excluding Hull York Medical School). Here you track the progress of your application and upload supporting documents. If you are an international applicant you can request your CAS.
Can I request a deferral?
All departments are willing to consider applications for deferred entry. If you would like us to reconsider your application for an alternative year of entry, let us know at email@example.com as soon as possible.
Can I transfer course?
Find out about transferring to York from another university and how you could use prior learning as credit towards your York degree:
What happens if I'm unsuccessful?
Unfortunately, some applicants may not receive an offer from us. If we don't offer you a place we'll provide feedback via UCAS Track. In some cases, we may be able to make you an offer on an alternative course.
3. Come to a visit day
To help you get to know us better you can come and meet us.
You can also subscribe to our event emails for booking alerts and the latest updates:
4. Apply for accommodation
You'll be able to apply online in the spring, after you've accepted York as your firm (first) choice or insurance (second) choice.
You're guaranteed a room in University accommodation during your first year if you accept York as your firm (first) or insurance (second) choice and apply for accommodation by our published deadline date.
5. Apply for your visa (international students)
If you require a Tier 4 visa to study in the UK, you will need a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS). You can request your CAS after you have accepted an offer. We can issue your CAS once your offer becomes unconditional and not longer than six months before your course starts.
The deadline to apply for your CAS is 11.59pm GMT, 15 September 2021.
6. Receive your results
Depending on your qualification your results will come out at various times, for example:
- International Baccalaureate (IB) results will be released on 5 July 2021
- Scottish Qualifications Authority (SQA) are aiming to release results for Highers and Advanced Highers no later than 10 August 2021
- A level results in England and Pearson BTEC Level 3 Nationals (both QCF and RQF) will be released on 19 August 2021
- GCSE results will be released on 26 August 2021
- Dates for Northern Ireland, CCEA are to be confirmed.
If the government or awarding bodies change these dates for any reason we'll update this page as soon as possible.
7. Confirm your place
When you receive your exam results, or if you already have them, and you meet the conditions of your offer - we can then confirm your place at York. Even if you don't meet the conditions you should still check UCAS Track as we may still be able to confirm your place or offer you a place on an alternative course.
- How to confirm your place
8. Welcome to York
Congratulations on getting your place at York!
The academic year will start on 27 September 2021.