We have properties on and off campus to house families, and work with York Housing Association to provide even more family accommodation.
- On-campus Family Accommodation Handbook (PDF , 501kb)
- Off-campus Family Accommodation Handbook (PDF , 417kb)
Please note: We are now fully booked for family housing for 2021/22. If you still need housing, you may want to look at private sector accommodation instead.
Paid in 12 monthly instalments
A mix of on and off-campus options
Furnished and unfurnished options (YHA properties)
£200 damage deposit
Refunded at the end of your let
Bills not included
You'll pay these separately
Wifi on campus
Wifi included with on campus properties
On campus (Garrowby Way)
Garrowby Way offers fully furnished houses with a double and single bedroom and study space or small third bedroom.
We also have two-bedroom flats, including one adapted for students with disabilities.
- £176 per week
- Internet is included
- Bills aren't included
We have a small number of fully furnished houses with three or four bedrooms that house students with larger families. Priority is given to families with three or more children.
- £217 per week
- Bills aren't included
- Wifi is not included
York Housing Association properties
These furnished and unfurnished bungalows are in McHugh Court, near Halifax College. Your tenancy agreement is with York Housing Association (YHA) and your rent will be payable termly to YHA.
The keys for YHA properties are only available to collect between 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday. If you'll be arriving in York outside of these hours you'll need to book temporary accommodation.
- 2 bed (furnished): £8,610, 50-week let (2021/22 price)
- 2 bed (unfurnished) £8,022, 50-week let (2021/22 price)
To apply for YHA properties: Please contact info
How we allocate
We allocate on a first-come-first-served basis, based on the priority (highest to lowest) below:
- Students with evidence of an additional requirement
- New students from outside the UK
- New students from the UK
- Continuing students who have not previously lived in University family accommodation
- Continuing students who have lived in University family accommodation before
Applying and payments
To apply for University of York properties: Apply online once you have accepted a conditional or unconditional course place.
- You must pay a £200 damage deposit, refunded at the end of your let, dependent on the condition of the property.
- Properties are let for 51 weeks with no option to renew for a further year.
- Payment is made in 12 monthly instalments.
To apply for York Housing Association properties: Please contact email@example.com, quoting your student number.
Arriving early/pre-sessional courses
Unfortunately, you can't move into your accommodation before your contract start date. You'll need to book other accommodation until then. See Visit York for information about where to stay.
If you have an unconditional firm offer for a pre-sessional course, it may be possible to allocate you family housing to cover the course time. Please put a request in the comment section when you apply.
Private sector accommodation
As we can't guarantee accommodation for families and couples, you should also look into Private sector accommodation around York.