We have properties on and off campus to house families, and work with York Housing Association to provide even more family accommodation.
Please note we are no longer accepting applications for family accommodation on campus for the 2022/23 academic year.
Paid in 12 monthly instalments
A mix of on and off-campus options
Furnished and unfurnished options (YHA properties)
£200 damage deposit
Refunded at the end of your let
Bills not included
You'll pay these separately
Wifi on campus
Wifi included with on campus properties
On campus (Garrowby Way)
Garrowby Way offers fully furnished houses with a double and single bedroom and study space or small third bedroom.
We also have two-bedroom flats, including one adapted for students with disabilities.
- £176 per week
- Internet is included
- Bills aren't included
We have a small number of fully furnished houses with three or four bedrooms that house students with larger families. Priority is given to families with three or more children.
- £217 per week
- Bills aren't included
- Wifi is not included
York Housing Association properties
YHA properties are now sold out for the 2022/23 academic year.
These furnished and unfurnished bungalows are in McHugh Court, near Halifax College. Your tenancy agreement is with York Housing Association (YHA) and your rent will be payable termly to YHA.
The keys for YHA properties are only available to collect between 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday. If you'll be arriving in York outside of these hours you'll need to book temporary accommodation.
- 2 bed (furnished): £8,610, 50-week let (2021/22 price - to be updated for 2022/23)
- 2 bed (unfurnished) £8,022, 50-week let (2021/22 price - to be updated for 2022/23)
How we allocate
We allocate on a first-come-first-served basis, based on the priority (highest to lowest) below:
- Students with evidence of an additional requirement
- New students from outside the UK
- New students from the UK
- Continuing students who have not previously lived in University family accommodation
- Continuing students who have lived in University family accommodation before
Applying and payments
To apply for University of York properties: Apply online once you have accepted a conditional or unconditional course place.
- The deadline to apply is 31 March 2022 - there is no accommodation guarantee for family accommodation
- You must pay a £200 damage deposit, refunded at the end of your let, dependent on the condition of the property.
- Properties are let for 49 or 50 weeks with no option to renew for a further year.
- Payment is made in 12 monthly instalments.
To apply for York Housing Association properties: Please contact email@example.com, quoting your student number.
Arriving early/pre-sessional courses
Unfortunately, you can't move into your accommodation before your contract start date. You'll need to book other accommodation until then. See Visit York for information about where to stay.
If you have an unconditional firm offer for a pre-sessional course, it may be possible to allocate you family housing to cover the course time. Please put a request in the comment section when you apply.
Private sector accommodation
As we can't guarantee accommodation for families and couples, you should also look into Private sector accommodation around York.