We have properties on and off campus to house families, and work with 54 North Homes to provide even more family accommodation.
Family accommodation applications for students expecting to join us in 2024/25 are now open.
Key things to know:
- Most University of York owned Family Accommodation is available for 1 year only. Subject to availability, students can apply for a second year however applications received from new students are prioritised
- £200 damage deposit - refunded at the end of your let
- 1-4 bedrooms - a mix of options on and off campus
- Bills are not included - you'll pay these separately
- Wifi on campus - included with on-campus properties
We have a small number of fully furnished houses with three or four bedrooms that house students with larger families. Priority is given to families with three or more children.
- Family house: £244 per week (51-week let)
- Bills aren't included
- Wifi is not included
54 North Homes properties
These furnished bungalows are in McHugh Court, near Halifax College. Your tenancy agreement is with 54 North Homes and your rent will be payable termly to them.
The keys for 54 North Homes properties are only available to collect between 9am–5pm, Monday to Friday. If you'll be arriving in York outside of these hours you'll need to book temporary accommodation.
To apply for 54 North Homes properties: Please contact: email@example.com quoting your student number.
How we allocate
We welcome applications from couples and families, however, we have a limited number of suitable bed spaces and therefore we cannot guarantee accommodation for those applying for couple or family accommodation.
We allocate based on the priority (highest to lowest) below:
- Students with evidence of an additional requirement that cannot be supported off campus
- New students from outside the UK
- New students from the UK
- Continuing students who have not previously lived in University family accommodation
- Continuing students who have lived in University family accommodation before
Applying and payments
To apply for University of York properties: Apply online once you have accepted a conditional or unconditional course place.
- There is no accommodation guarantee for family accommodation
- You must pay a £200 damage deposit, refunded at the end of your let, dependent on the condition of the property.
- Properties are let for 51 weeks with no automatic option to renew for a further year.
- Payment is made in 12 monthly instalments.
To apply for 54 North Homes: Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting your student number.
Arriving early/pre-sessional courses
Unfortunately, you can't move into your accommodation before your contract start date. You'll need to book other accommodation until then. See Visit York for information about where to stay.
If you have an unconditional firm offer for a pre-sessional course, it may be possible to allocate you family housing to cover the course time. Please put a request in the comment section when you apply.
Private sector accommodation
As we can't guarantee accommodation for families and couples, you should also look into Private sector accommodation around York.