We have a small number of on-campus rooms and studios for couples, and also work with the York Housing Association (YHA) to provide some one bedroom properties.
Only one person in a couple needs to be a full time registered student at York to be eligible to apply.
University properties: on campus
Derwent and Vanbrugh College both offer ensuite double rooms and some flats with their own bathroom and access to a shared kitchen.
We also have self-contained flats and studio flats in Derwent, Goodricke, Langwith (shown above), Vanbrugh and Wentworth Colleges, which have their own kitchen facilities as well as a private bathroom.
Rooms and prices
Bills and wifi are included with all room options.
- Ensuite double room: £153.01 per week
- Couples flat: £161.77 per week
- Studio flat: £169.97 per week
- One-bedroom flat: £228.82 per week
There is a £300 advance payment for University accommodation, which includes:
- a £120 booking fee which will become your deposit at the start of your booking. The deposit will be refunded at the end of your tenancy unless you cancel your room or have any outstanding clearing, cleaning, damage or rent charges
- an £180 advance payment which you can deduct from your first rent instalment
York Housing Association properties
These furnished and unfurnished one-bedroom bungalows can be found in McHugh Court, which is close to Halifax College. Your tenancy agreement is with YHA and your rent will be payable termly to YHA. You will have the option to renew your tenancy each year throughout the duration of your studies.
Rooms and prices
Bills and wifi are not included
- Unfurnished bungalow: £2,111 per term
- Furnished bungalow: £2,288 per term
- Advanced payment: equivalent to 1 month's rent*
*This will be returned to you when you leave the accommodation, dependent on the condition of the property.
How we allocate
We allocate on a first-come-first-served basis, based on the priority (highest to lowest) below:
- Students with evidence of a medical, welfare or mobility requirement
- New students from outside the EU
- New students from outside the UK but within the EU
- New students from the UK
- Continuing students who have not previously lived in University couples accommodation
- Continuing students who have already lived in University couples accommodation
Although our University accommodation is only available for a one-year let length, you may be able to extend your YHA contract beyond the initial let length, subject to availability. If your course is longer than one year we may give you priority for YHA accommodation.
Private sector accommodation
As we can't guarantee accommodation for families and couples, you should also look into private sector accommodation around York.