You are guaranteed an offer of a room in accommodation owned, managed or approved by the University if you are an international student and fulfil all of the following:
- are paying tuition fees from outside the EU
- are a new, full-time student, applying for a single room for the full academic year
- apply for accommodation and accept an unconditional course place by 12 noon Friday 7 August 2020
You'll also be guaranteed accommodation for each year of your course if you book by the deadline date advertised each year.
We’ll still assist you with accommodation if possible, but will prioritise guaranteed students first. Submit an application and we’ll get in touch about the options available.
How to book
Postgraduate accommodation is booked via our online system. Simply log in and select a room type. The system is dynamic, meaning the options you see will be those that are currently available.
Login at accommodation.york.ac.uk using your You@York login details
Click ‘create application’ for the next academic year
On the first page check that all of your personal details are correct
You’ll then need to select your application type: Single, couple or family
Remember to check that your email is one that you will have continued access to as we will use it to send you important booking information.
Once you've chosen your application type, you’ll be asked if you have any additional health, welfare or mobility requirements and be able to upload supporting evidence.
- Find out about how to let us know about any health, welfare and disability requirements.
On the next page there's a box to let us know of any other additional information or requests that do not fall under additional requirements.
Please let us know about any additional requirements you may have as early as possible so that we have the best chance of allocating you the room that suits your needs.
- You’ll need to let us know who we can share your data with. This will include who we are able to talk to about your accommodation and room booking or offer (including family members or carers) and who we can talk to about your accommodation payments.
Next, you'll need to select the type of room you'd like to book.
The booking system is dynamic, meaning that the options you see will be based on the current room stock that is available. If a particular room type does not show up, it is fully booked.
- You may want to think about these things to consider to help you make your choice.
- Use the filter buttons in the right-hand column and the sort by bar at the top of the page to browse the different accommodation options.
- You can find out more information about each room by clicking the tabs.
After you've selected the room you’d like to book, you’ll be asked to review your booking.
On the next page, you'll need to read the terms and conditions before reaching the final page where you will confirm your application. Make sure you complete ALL of the steps, including the confirmation step.
Once your booking is complete, you’ll receive an email to confirm that we have received your booking request. If you do not receive an email, you have not completed all of the booking steps.
If you have applied for Student Castle accommodation, it may take upto three days for your booking request confirmation email to arrive.
Before confirming your booking, please make sure you read our Student Terms and Conditions carefully. If you receive an offer of a room at Student Castle, your residence agreement will be with Student Castle directly not with the University.
What happens next
1. We confirm your booking*
Once you’ve made a booking, we'll send you a confirmation email. If you do not receive this email, please get in touch.
2. Make your advanced payment**
Your £200 advanced payment will secure your booking and will be deducted from your first term's rent instalment. If you do not pay this, your booking may be cancelled.
3. Receive your room number
Room numbers will be sent out in September. Around this time you’ll also start to hear more from your college about arrivals and events.
4. Pay your first rent instalment
Your rent is split over three termly instalments, your first of which will be due in October. We recommend setting up a direct debit.
Continuing postgraduates, visiting students and students enrolled on a pre-sessional course at York, do not need to make an advance payment.
Cancellation and non-arrivals
To cancel a booking, please email email@example.com. We'll confirm whether you're eligible, and inform you of any additional charges.
These policies only apply to new students who do not arrive in York to start their course. You are not eligible to end your agreement if you are a registered student at the University.
If you inform us you wish to cancel:
- more than four weeks before your booking start: we'll keep your £200 advance payment or charge you £200 if you have not paid it yet.
- less than four weeks before your booking start: we'll keep your £200 advance payment, and you'll be charged four weeks’ rent.
- after the start date of your room booking: you should let us know by following the request to vacate procedure. You will normally be charged the equivalent of 8 weeks rent as a notice period plus a £200 cancellation fee.
Please note: You are not eligible to end your tenancy agreement if you are a registered student at the University. If you wish to be released from your contract you’ll need to find a replacement tenant and follow our request to vacate procedure.
Student Castle accommodation
If you choose to book accommodation at Student Castle you’ll be invited to apply and enter into an agreement with them directly.
Student Castle’s terms and conditions, cancellation policy and payment terms are different from our own. They will contact you with further information.
If you want to pay your rent in three instalments, you’ll need a UK-based guarantor, or use a guarantor company, otherwise you’ll need to pay the year’s rent in advance.
If you don’t accept your room booking at Student Castle, you can apply again but if you are an international student, you will no longer be eligible for our accommodation guarantee.
Paying for accommodation
Information on when to pay your rent and the best ways to do soHow to pay
Things to do now, what to bring and what happens when your arriveNew postgraduate welcome