Postgraduate research funding for international (including EU) students
We offer scholarships, bursaries and other funding to help you with tuition fees and living expenses.
Funding opportunities open and close all the time, so please check this page throughout the year.
Types of funding
Government schemes, like Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), are the main sources of financial support for postgraduate researchers. We award over £7m of funding each year through UK Research and Innovation (ukri.org).
These opportunities are open to students who pay tuition fees at the overseas rate. If you're unsure whether you're classed as a UK or international student for fee purposes, check your fee status.
Funding for students with disabilities
If you have a mental health problem, long-term illness or any other disability, you may be eligible for additional financial support.
The following opportunities are currently open for applications.
The University of York is a host university for the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission. Various opportunities are available throughout the year. The majority of awards are funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
The Saïd Foundation awards fully-funded scholarships to outstanding individuals from Syria, Jordan, Lebanon and Palestine who are looking to study for a one-year Masters degree in the UK.
Many of our departments and centres offer additional opportunities and specialised guidance on funding your studies.
- Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies
- Centre for Health Economics
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Modern Studies
- Centre for Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics and Related Studies
- Department of Education
- Department of English and Related Literature
- Department of Environment and Geography
- Department of Health Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of History of Art
- Department of Language and Linguistic Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Politics and International Relations
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sociology
- Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre
- School of Arts and Creative Technologies
- School for Business and Society
- School of Physics, Engineering and Technology
- York Law School
Many funding opportunities are renewed annually. Some of those listed below may reopen for applications later in the year.
- Collaborative ESRC White Rose Social Sciences DTP (WR DTP) Scholarships
- BBSRC White Rose DTP (WR DTP) in Mechanistic Biology
- ESRC White Rose Social Sciences DTP (WR DTP) Scholarships
- NERC DTP in Adapting to the Challenges of a Changing Environment (ACCE)
- ONAOSI Foundation postgraduate scholarships
- Partnership Marshall Scholarships