Funding for international (non-EU) students

There are a number of funding streams you can apply for to help with the cost of living and course fees. Details often depend on your personal circumstances and your area of research.

A good starting point when researching funding opportunities is to contact your local British Council office. They can provide up-to-date advice on what is available for your country and you can search for scholarships online.

We recommend that you start to research funding opportunities 12 to 18 months before you intend to start studying, as deadlines often fall early in the admissions cycle. In order to be eligible for most scholarships you will need to have an offer for a place on a research degree.

University scholarships 2018/19

So far the following scholarships have been confirmed for 2018/19 entry.

York Graduate Research School scholarships for overseas research students

We are pleased to offer a number of scholarships awarded by the York Graduate Research School:

  • Overseas research scholarships: you will not pay any tuition fees plus receive a stipend of £5,000 per year
  • Scholarships for overseas students: 25% discount on your tuition fee for each year of successful study
  • Overseas Continuation Scholarships (Masters to PhD): your tuition fees will be reduced by £5,000 in the first year of your course, for current University of York Masters students who are progressing to PhD studies at York

University of York – China Scholarships Council joint research scholarships 

We're pleased to offer up to ten joint-funded PhD scholarships in collaboration with the China Scholarships Council (CSC). Each scholarship includes 100% of tuition fees for the full duration of the CSC funding period which is typically three years, plus living costs support, a return flight from China and UK visa costs.

Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships in the Humanities 2018/19

With generous funding from the Wolfson Foundation, the Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships fund doctoral research in three disciplines: History, Literature, and Languages.

Departmental awards

In addition, our academic departments offer some subject-specific funding opportunities. Check the eligibility criteria to make sure they are open to international (non-EU) applicants before you start to apply. 

Other funding sources: