PhD students are an integral part of the research community at York and many students join us as part of a Centre for Doctoral Training (CDT), Doctoral Training Centre (DTC), or Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP).

York Graduate Research School partnerships

Each year we award over £7m of studentships through UK Research and Innovation. We work with DTPS and CDTs, including the White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities, the White Rose Social Sciences Doctoral Training Partnership, and the EPSRC CDT in Fusion Energy Science and Technology.

Through membership of one of York’s funded CDTs or DTPs, postgraduate researchers benefit from being part of a wider research community and having a chance to develop a broad range of skills through professional development opportunities. 

Benefits of undertaking a doctoral programme through a CDT or DTP

  • Full payment of tuition fees.
  • UKRI level stipend for three to four years (dependent on the particular CDT/DTP).
  • Access to funding to support research costs, eg fieldwork and conference attendance.
  • Networking opportunities and cohort-building activities.
  • Programme of professional development and research skills training.
  • Gathering experience which can be used in a range of careers both inside and outside of academia.

Who is eligible for CDTs or DTPs?

Each CDT and DTP have different eligibility criteria which are available on their websites.

Some studentships are open to international applicants and York has committed to covering the difference between the home fee rate and the international fee rate for international candidates who receive a studentship from a UKRI-funded DTP or CDT.

Current CDTs and DTPs

These CDTS and DTPs offer postgraduate research studentships at the University of York:

UK Research Councils

Research Councils are funded by the Government and invest billions in academic research each year. There are seven Research Councils in the UK:

  • AHRC (Arts and Humanities Research Council)
  • BBSRC (Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council)
  • ESRC (Economic and Social Research Council)
  • EPSRC (Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council)
  • MRC (Medical Research Council)
  • NERC (Natural Environment Research Council)
  • STFC (Science and Technology Facilities Council)

Each year, the Research Councils allocate scholarships/studentships to selected universities and departments. The Research Councils don't fund postgraduate students directly.

More information