Postgraduate research funding for UK (home) students
We offer scholarships, bursaries and other funding to help you with tuition fees and living expenses.
Opportunities for 2022/23 entry will continue to be updated, so please check this page throughout the year.
Types of funding
Government schemes, like Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), are the main sources of financial support for postgraduate researchers. We award over £7m of funding each year through UK Research and Innovation (ukri.org).
UK Government loans
You may be entitled to a postgraduate loan to help fund your studies.
Opportunities for 2022/23 entry
We'll continue to add new and returning opportunities once confirmed throughout the year.
The Arts and Humanities Research Council-funded White Rose College of the Arts and Humanities Open Competition scholarships suit student-led PhD projects within the AHRC remit of Histories, Cultures and Heritage, Creative and Performing Arts, and Languages and Literature.
This prestigious Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council-funded Doctoral Training Partnership and its strategic application brings together world-class molecular and cellular bioscience centres at the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield and York.
The White Rose Doctoral Training Partnership (DTP) is committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive environment within its postgraduate research programme. We encourage candidate from all backgrounds to apply for a fully-funded PhD scholarship as part of the White Rose DTP.
The Economic and Social Research Council White Rose Social Sciences Doctoral Training Partnership is a collaboration across the social sciences at the Universities of Leeds, Sheffield, York, Bradford, Sheffield Hallam, Hull and Manchester Metropolitan.
This prestigious Natural Environment Research Council-funded Doctoral Training Partnership brings together the very best in environmental, ecological and evolutionary research.
With generous funding from the Wolfson Foundation, the Wolfson Postgraduate Scholarships fund doctoral research in three Subject Disciplines: History, Literature and Languages.
We're pleased to offer up to six fully-funded PhD scholarships in collaboration with the York Graduate Research School (YGRS).
Other schemes and resources
- FindAPhD scholarships (findaphd.com)
- Funding for students with disabilities
- Intelligent Games and Games Intelligence (iggi.org.uk)
- Science and Technology of Fusion Energy (fusion-cdt.ac.uk)
- Government funding for postgraduate study (gov.uk)
- Postgraduate Studentships (postgraduatestudentships.co.uk)
- Prospects funding advice (prospects.ac.uk)
- Research Professional (researchresearch.com)
Many of our departments and centres offer additional opportunities and specialised guidance on funding your studies.
- Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies
- Centre for Health Economics
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Modern Studies
- Centre for Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics and Related Studies
- Department of Education
- Department of Electronic Engineering
- Department of English and Related Literature
- Department of Environment and Geography
- Department of Health Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of History of Art
- Department of Language and Linguistic Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Music
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Politics
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Social Policy and Social Work
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Theatre, Film, Television and Interactive Media
- Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre
- York Law School
- University of York Management School
Opportunities for 2021/22 entry
We update many of our opportunities annually. Any listed below may soon become available again for the next academic year.