Postgraduate research funding for UK (home) students
We offer scholarships, bursaries and other funding to help you with tuition fees and living expenses.
Funding opportunities open and close all the time, so please check this page throughout the year.
Types of funding
Government schemes, like Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs) and Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs), are the main sources of financial support for postgraduate researchers. We award over £7m of funding each year through UK Research and Innovation (ukri.org).
UK Government loans
You may be entitled to a postgraduate loan to help fund your studies.
Funding for students with disabilities
If you have a mental health problem, long-term illness or any other disability, you may be eligible for additional financial support.
The following opportunities are currently open for applications.
The Snowdon Trust Masters Scholarship has been designed to identify and accelerate exceptional disabled students through higher education, creating the influencers of the future.
We're pleased to offer up to six fully-funded PhD scholarships for UK candidates who self-identify as being from a Black, Asian or Minority Ethnic (BAME) background.
Many of our departments and centres offer additional opportunities and specialised guidance on funding your studies.
- Centre for Applied Human Rights
- Centre for Eighteenth Century Studies
- Centre for Health Economics
- Centre for Medieval Studies
- Centre for Modern Studies
- Centre for Renaissance and Early Modern Studies
- Department of Archaeology
- Department of Biology
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Economics and Related Studies
- Department of Education
- Department of English and Related Literature
- Department of Environment and Geography
- Department of Health Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of History of Art
- Department of Language and Linguistic Science
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Politics and International Relations
- Department of Psychology
- Department of Sociology
- Interdisciplinary Global Development Centre
- School of Arts and Creative Technologies
- School for Business and Society
- School of Physics, Engineering and Technology
- York Law School
Other schemes and resources
External opportunities are not vetted or endorsed by the University.
- FindAPhD scholarships (findaphd.com)
- Intelligent Games and Games Intelligence (iggi.org.uk)
- Science and Technology of Fusion Energy (fusion-cdt.ac.uk)
- Government funding for postgraduate study (gov.uk)
- Postgraduate Studentships (postgraduatestudentships.co.uk)
- Prospects funding advice (prospects.ac.uk)
- Research Professional (researchresearch.com)
Many funding opportunities are renewed annually. Some of those listed below may reopen for applications later in the year.