York offers a variety of places to buy your food - major supermarkets, a city centre market, international shops, small independents and shops specialising in organic food or low waste products. If you're feeling adventurous, you could head out of town to visit farm shops and 'pick your own' farms.
There are two Nisa stores on campus, and many more elsewhere in York.
Most major supermarkets will deliver online orders to your door - club together with housemates to get free delivery on large orders.
- Bua Yai Thai Supermarket
11 Hull Rd, York YO10 3JL
- Makkah International Food - Halal Arabic, Turkish, Asian and English food
27-29 Hull Road, YO10 3JW
- Oriental Express - Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Malaysian, Singaporean and Korean food
5 Matmer House, Hull Road, YO10 3JW
- Polski Sklep IZA - Polish and Eastern European food
104 Walmgate, York YO1 9TL
- Rafi's Spice Box - Indian food
17 Goodramgate, YO1 7LW
01904 430 850
- Red Chilli Supermarket - Asian groceries
25, George Hudson Street, YO1 6JL
Shambles Market in the city centre is a great place to buy fresh fish, meat, vegetables, fruit, cheeses and herbs. Prices are usually cheaper than those in supermarkets.
Weigh your own and low waste shops
- Scoop - a student-run, non-profit food co-operative in Wentworth Graduate College.
- Alligator Wholefoods - independent, organic wholefood shop on Fishergate.
- Bishy Weigh - weigh your own shop on Bishopthorpe Road.
- The Little Green Weigh - online shop offering free delivery or click and collect, including a refill service.