Coronavirus: changes to campus and city life
Your health and safety are our top priority so all student venues, event spaces and sporting facilities will be Covid-19 Secure when reopened.
Supermarkets and restaurants on campus will be open with strict cleaning schedules and options for takeaway, delivery or pre-ordering for collection.
We’ll provide widespread hand sanitiser stations and washable face coverings for staff and students. We’ll follow the latest Government guidance to put in place appropriate distancing measures right across campus.
We’ll also be partners in City-wide health and safety measures to implement track and trace.
Colleges, YUSU and the GSA are planning a variety of fun and exciting activities throughout Autumn 2020. YUSU is working to increase the number of outdoor seating areas, street food kiosks and licenced events across campus to create safe zones for fun and socialising. This term’s programme of events will be tailored around suitable indoor and outdoor spaces, some with facilities to safely serve food and drink, and are expected to include silent discos, cinema screenings, drama and comedy performances, art activities, and volunteering opportunities.
Meanwhile, the City of York is making plans so you can continue to enjoy the sights, sounds and unique experiences of this historic and beautiful city.
Food and drink
- Cafes, restaurants and bars on campus
Catering outlets around campus serve a wide range of snacks, sandwiches, salads, cooked meals, desserts and drinks throughout the day. Meals can be discounted through the Meals in Advance (MAD) scheme, which involves prepayment on a termly basis.
- Map of showers and food preparation facilities on campus
- YUSU runs three bars on campus, a coffee shop and a retail shop. Find out more about YUSU food and drink.
- Find ingredients for your favourite cuisine and perfect the Big Shop with our information on supermarkets and food in York.
- Visit the two pubs on Main Street in Heslington village, The Deramore Arms and the Charles XII.
In an emergency
In the event of an emergency call 999 for emergency services - or for security services on campus call 01904 32 3333 or use the Safezone app.
Travel and transport
Events on campus
Find out how to reduce your environmental impact, what the University is doing to become more sustainable, and how you can get involved with Sustainable York.
- There are two sports centres on campus. Go to York Sport to find out about the York Sport Centre on Campus West and York Sport Village on Campus East. There are a range of membership and pay-as-you-go options.
- York Sport Union has 67 different University sport clubs, all led by students. You're bound to find something for you - whether it's to take part competitively or just for fun.
- The YorActive Trail is a 5km route of interactive fitness equipment stations stretching from York Sport Centre on Campus West to York Sport Village on Campus East.
- Heslington parkrun takes place every Saturday from 9am.
Meetups are a great way to meet local people. Find the group for you, whether it's outdoor swimming, photography, Ceilidh dancing, board games, comedy clubs, life drawing, and more. See York meetups groups.
Volunteer in the city
Check out our volunteering pages to find out about opportunities to make a difference with communities in York, including volunteering in schools, helping to maintain green spaces, or being an advocate for older people.
Things to do in York
Make the most of your time in York by getting to know the area.
Download the Facebook Local app and see what is happening in York.
Global opportunities on campus
The Centre of Global Programmes organises activities on campus where you can find out about different cultures and meet people from around the world. Join the International Conversations Afternoons or Japanese tea parties, or take part in intercultural workshops. Find out more about global opportunities on campus.
International Community Garden
Get to know new people, grow international produce, learn about gardening, and enjoy the tranquility of YUMI’s International Community Garden.