Why go abroad?
- Stand out from the crowd (less than 5% of UK students have studied abroad)
- Boost your self-confidence, independence and ambition
- Broaden your cultural and social perspectives
- Discover new strengths and abilities, developing yourself and enhancing your CV
- Develop your language skills
- Pay up to 85% less tuition fees while you're abroad
View opportunities open to you, according to your level and subject of study.
News and key dates
See our study abroad calendar for all key dates and deadlines.
York has links with top academic institutions and employers all over the world. We offer short and long term international opportunities in Europe, North America, Asia, Australia and South Africa.
If you don't fancy a full year or term abroad, we offer short CV boosting international alternatives!
“Studying at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign gave me a completely new insight into my subject, within the contrasting American educational system.
I met people from all around the world and loved being part of a different culture, from watching college football to attending corn festivals.
On my return to York it dawned on me how uniquely rewarding my study abroad experience was. I have become a much more independent person, confident about travelling on my own and being responsible for my own future.”
Megan, BA History, 3rd year
- Read what other students thought of their time abroad in student stories.
There are various grants and scholarships available to help fund your time abroad.
- Centre for Global Programmes
+44 (0)1904 32 2846
- University of York Global Programmes Students on Facebook