At York we aim to provide every student with an opportunity to gain an international experience. Not only will it enrich your educational experience, it will prepare you for a career in a competitive and global job market.
Why go abroad?
Going abroad by taking advantage of one of our opportunities below will help you to:
- broaden your cultural and social perspectives,
- stand out from the crowd (less than 8 per cent of UK students have studied abroad),
- enhance your employability,
- boost your self-confidence, independence and ambition,
- conquer challenges, solve problems and discover new strengths and abilities,
- develop your language and communication skills, and
- build up your personal and professional networks.
- work on skills identified in York Strengths
Explore all your options for studying abroad.
Summer courses and travel awards.
Come along to our Autumn Term sessions to find out more about opportunities to study, work or volunteer abroad. See our study abroad calendar for more details.
Centre for Global Programmes
+44 (0)1904 32 3654
Make an appointment to speak to one of our advisors:
Tuesdays and Fridays 2.00 - 4.00pm email firstname.lastname@example.org
Worldwide opportunities (including Summer Schools):
Mondays and Thursdays 2.00 - 4.00pm email email@example.com
International Study Centres:
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for available times
Thinking of an international placement year or summer internship?
Help and advice to plan your time abroad.
Can I get funding?
There are various grants and scholarships available to help fund your time abroad.
- Exchange programmes: A number of scholarships are available to students on our Worldwide Exchange Programme, subject to eligibility criteria, and you may be able to apply for funding to help support your studies if you're on a study or work placement in Europe as part of your degree.
- Postgraduate funding opportunities: We advertise funding available for postgraduate and Post Doc researchers.
- Independent travel awards: We have a number of financial awards for students wishing to pursue organised and independent international travel projects during their studies at York.
- The York Futures Scholarship: Our alumni community fund scholarships which give students access to personal and professional development opportunities, including international mobility. Find out more about the level of support available, eligibility criteria and application deadlines online.