Accessibility statement

Students with children

We understand that juggling university with parenting responsibilities can be challenging. As a University we will support you to manage your studies alongside family life.

In addition to the support described below, there is also a Family Network run by families for families. The Network exists to enable students with children to meet, socialise, share information and have fun! All members of the University community who have children - undergraduates, postgraduates and members of staff - are welcome to get involved with the Family Network.

If you are a prospective student with a child or children, there are things that are important to consider before you start studying at York. 

Facilities on campus

There are baby changing facilities available on campus which can be found on the campus map by searching for baby changing. If you would like a dedicated quiet place to breastfeed or to express milk - just search the map for breastfeeding.

There is a family study room in the Library where you can work alongside your children. It’s an ideal space for short study sessions when you need to keep your children with you and occupied. 

Childcare and Schools

Childcare options for children younger than five include private nurseries, childminders, and pre-schools. City of York Council can help you to find childcare as well as advising how you can find out if you are entitled to up to 30 hours of free childcare per week.

The university's Campus Nursery is able to take children up to 5 years and 11 months, including children who have already started school and may need childcare during half-term and summer holidays. The Campus Nursery also offers student and term time only rates.

The nearest pre-schools to the University are:

There are several private nurseries close to the University, including the University of York Campus Nursery

The Student Support and Advice team can support all students with children (home and international students) with queries relating to childcare.

The City of York Council has guides to help parents and carers with children who are looking to start a primary or secondary school in York. 

If you are an international student this overview of schools in the UK explains how the school system works here and how to apply for a school place for your child


For queries regarding University accommodation for families, the Accommodation team are happy to help.