Sport and fitness
Whether you want to participate, play, prepare or perform there's something for everyone at York - from beginners to high-performers.
We offer inclusive opportunities for all students to participate in sport regardless of race, sexual orientation, nationality or disability status. Our elected students and graduates - the figureheads of student sporting activity at York - strive to create the very best opportunities for you.
"Sport at York is fantastic because of the huge variety of opportunities that means everyone can take part. Having university and college clubs means you can find a level that suits you, and find friends who are at a similar level. As well as this all our clubs are student led meaning there's the opportunity to get involved and change your club on committees. Roses and College Varsity are amazing events and bring everyone together in Team York against other universities!"
Zac Sheppard, York Sport Union President 2018/19
If casual sport is your thing, college sport is for you.
It's open to everyone whether you've been playing a sport for years or you fancy trying something new. Play for fun or compete against other colleges.
You could also play for your college against Durham University, in the only inter-university college varsity.
Other key events:
- We host a variety of events throughout the year including the York Triathlon organised by UK Triathlon.
- The Yorkshire Marathon starts and finishes on campus and attracts over 18,000 people in a mass of activity and celebration.
- We host regional and national level cycling events, such as the Cyclo-Cross National Trophy.
- We are the home of York futsal Club, who play in the FA National Futsal league.
- College Varsity, between York and Durham University, is the only inter-university college sport tournament in the UK.
- Our annual College Sports Day is our most nostalgic and fun event of the year involving a range of old school sporting events.
- York Sport Union Colours Ball, the grand finale of the sporting year, celebrates the fantastic achievements of our University sports clubs over the year.
- The College Sport Celebrations recognise and reward the fantastic students who participate in college sport.
- Freshers' Fair, where all the University sports clubs will be out in force and looking to entice you into join their club!
- There's a weekly 5km parkrun starting from York Sport Village on Saturdays.
Get fit and train
Watch our sports video to see our sports facilities in action and to discover the variety of activities on offer.
York Sport Village and Sports Centre give you access to a wide range of first-class sport, health and fitness facilities, services and programmes. You can choose from a range of pay-as-you-go and membership options.
Explore the full range (york-sport.com) of facilities on offer.
Run, walk or cycle the new YorActive Trail and use outdoor gym equipment along the way.
The new 5km outdoor fitness trail, open to students, staff and the wider community, connects the west and east parts of campus.