Our campus is packed with interesting and relaxing places to eat and drink. There are also two supermarkets where you can pick up your groceries and essentials.
Profits from some of our food and drink outlets on campus are reinvested to build a fantastic student experience. This includes investment in societies, sports clubs and developing facilities around the University.
For more information about all the venues across campus, see:
Catered accommodation and meal deals
Catered accommodation includes breakfast and a two-course meal.
We also have a Meals in Advance Deal available to all students, where you can buy discounted meals on a semester by semester basis. Choose which package suits your needs, take the stress out of planning your food and know exactly what you're spending.
Eating in the city
For a pub lunch near campus, you can nip to The Charles XII in Heslington village.
For lunch on-the-go, Brown's of Heslington serves up freshly made sandwiches, baked potatoes and cakes, as well as soft drinks and other general groceries.
York city centre boasts a thriving street food scene, high-quality restaurants and quirky coffee shops, plus a great range of takeaway options.
If you're really passionate about food and drink, you might be interested in joining one of these foodie student societies:
- Baking Society
- Coffee Society
- Real Ale Society
- Vegetarian and Vegan Society
- Wine Appreciation Society
Our International Students’ Association (facebook.com) host a range of events to celebrate cultural diversity at York including world food fiestas.
Supermarkets and shops
- There are two Nisa stores, one on each Campus West and Campus East. They sell everyday groceries and essentials as well as on-the-go hot drinks, slushes and milkshakes.
- The Scoop Student Co-operative is a student run, not-for-profit shop offering healthy, ethical, local goods on a student budget.
- Our University of York gift shop sells gifts, study essentials and official branded University of York clothing and merchandise.
Explore more on campus
Your Students' Union provides over 200 societies and 60 sports clubs. Find your interests, find your people!
Give something back to the community and boost your experience and skill set through volunteering.
Culture on campus
Whether you want to play, watch, listen or perform, there are lots of ways to enjoy culture on campus.