Campus is packed with places to eat and drink. For your groceries and essentials we also have three supermarkets and a shop.
Places to eat and drink
- Piazza Restaurant on Campus East serves up hot food, cold snacks, Starbucks coffee and a range of tempting cakes.
- Alcuin Bistro is a great place to enjoy a delicious meal or a quiet coffee in a comfy lounge area. The Bistro also offers a wide range of vegan dishes, and a fantastic breakfast club loyalty scheme.
- The Courtyard in Derwent College is one of the most popular places to eat and drink on campus, offering homemade burgers and cheesy chips.
- The Glasshouse in Langwith College on Campus East serves up nachos, panini and wraps. They also have curry club once a week and a late night menu with cocktails.
- The Kitchen at Alcuin has a vintage feel with big comfy sofas - the place to go for a cuppa and a slice of cake.
- The Lounge in James College is a favourite for cocktails and society socials.
- Library Café is the perfect location to take a break from your studies in a relaxed environment, and is a great meeting point.
- Bring your own drinks and snacks to the Library to sustain you through your studies. There are food preparation facilities at the Library's Fairhurst kitchen.
- Hub Café in Ron Cooke Hub has a great selection of hot and cold snacks and coffees. Enjoy your coffee on the go with the option to eat in or take away.
- Vanbrugh Dining offers a range food from burritos to healthy Asian broths and a large range of salads and sandwiches.
- The Vanbrugh Arms is open in the evening for a quiet drink in a traditional pub setting.
- At the Galleria Restaurant in James College you can get a hearty breakfast, noodles, pies, halal food and much more. It's the largest food court on campus, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Derwent has vegetarian and vegan options and a popular world street food menu from curry to falafels as well as serving Costa Coffee. In the evening and at the weekend D-Bar offers a large range of drinks and snacks.
- Discover Cookies in the Department of Biology, serving hot and cold snacks, freshly baked cookies and much more.
- The Scoop Student Cooperative is a student shop offering healthy, ethical, local goods on a budget (check the calendar to see when they're open).
- For a pub lunch, you can nip to The Charles or The Deramore Arms in Heslington Village.
Profits from all the food and drink outlets on campus are reinvested to build a fantastic student experience. This includes investment in societies, sports clubs and developing facilities around the University.
For information about all the venues across campus see:
If you're really passionate about food and drink you might be interested in joining one of these student societies:
- Baking Society
- Cocktail Society
- Coffee Society
- Real Ale Society
- Vegetarian and Vegan Society
- Wine Appreciation Society
Supermarkets and shops
- Nisa supermarket in three locations - two on Campus West: Market Square and Halifax College, and one on Campus East.
- Gift shop selling gifts, study essentials and official branded University of York clothing and merchandise.
Catered accommodation and meal deals
Accommodation is available for undergraduate students which includes breakfast and a two-course meal. We also have a Meals in Advance Deal available to all students, where you can buy discounted meals on a term by term basis.