Campus is packed with places to eat and drink. For your groceries and essentials we also have three supermarkets and a shop.
Places to eat and drink
- Piazza Restaurant on Campus East serves up hot food, cold snacks, Starbucks Coffee and a range of tempting cakes.
- Alcuin Bistro is a great place to enjoy a delicious meal or a quiet coffee in a comfy lounge area. The Bistro also offers a wide range of vegan dishes, nachos, pizzas and loaded fries.
- The Courtyard in Derwent College is one of the most popular places to eat and drink on campus, offering homemade burgers and cheesy chips.
- The Glasshouse in Langwith College on Campus East serves up nachos, panini and wraps. They also have curry club once a week and a late night menu with cocktails.
- Hub Café in Ron Cooke Hub has a great selection of hot and cold snacks and coffees. Enjoy your coffee on the go with the option to eat in or take away.
- The Kitchen at Alcuin has a vintage feel with big comfy sofas - the place to go for a cuppa and a slice of cake.
- The Lounge in James College is a favourite for cocktails and society socials.
- Library Café is the perfect location to take a break from your studies in a relaxed environment, and is a great meeting point.
- Bring your own drinks and snacks to the Library to sustain you through your studies. There are food preparation facilities at the Library's Fairhurst kitchen.
- Vanbrugh Dining offers a range food from burritos to healthy Asian broths and a large range of salads and sandwiches.
- Vedge is an exclusively vegetarian and vegan cafe, serving their famous Vedge bowls, bubble waffles and an array of other plant-based meals. Starbucks Coffee is also on offer.
- The Vanbrugh Arms is open in the evening for a quiet drink in a traditional pub setting.
- At the Galleria Restaurant in James College you can get a hearty breakfast, pasta, pizzas, halal food and much more. It's the largest food court on campus, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner. You can also visit the café which serves Costa Coffee, sandwiches, paininis, waffles and smoothies.
- Derwent Café has vegetarian and vegan options including Buddha bowls and pizzas, as well as serving Costa Coffee.
- D-Bar offers a large range of drinks and snacks.
- Discover Cookies in the Department of Biology, serving hot and cold snacks, freshly baked cookies and much more.
- The Scoop Student Cooperative is a student shop offering healthy, ethical, local goods on a budget (check the calendar to see when they're open).
- For a pub lunch, you can nip to The Charles or The Deramore Arms in Heslington Village.
Profits from all the food and drink outlets on campus are reinvested to build a fantastic student experience. This includes investment in societies, sports clubs and developing facilities around the University.
For information about all the venues across campus see:
If you're really passionate about food and drink you might be interested in joining one of these student societies:
- Baking Society
- Cocktail Society
- Coffee Society
- Real Ale Society
- Vegetarian and Vegan Society
- Wine Appreciation Society
Supermarkets and shops
- Nisa supermarket in three locations - two on Campus West: Market Square and Halifax College, and one on Campus East.
- Gift shop selling gifts, study essentials and official branded University of York clothing and merchandise.
Catered accommodation and meal deals
Accommodation is available for undergraduate students which includes breakfast and a two-course meal. We also have a Meals in Advance Deal available to all students, where you can buy discounted meals on a term by term basis.