Campus is packed with places to eat and drink. For your groceries and essentials we also have two supermarkets and a shop.
Places to eat and drink
- Piazza Restaurant on Campus East is new for 2018. Serving up hot food, cold snacks, Starbucks coffee and a range of tempting cakes.
- Alcuin Bistro is a great place to come for a delicious meal or a quiet coffee in a comfy lounge area.
- The Courtyard in Derwent College is one the most popular places to eat and drink on campus serving up homemade burgers and cheesy chips.
- The Glasshouse in Langwith College on Campus East serves up nachos, panini and wraps. They also have curry club once a week and a late night menu with cocktails.
- The Kitchen at Alcuin has a vintage feel with big comfy sofas and is recommended as the place to go for a cuppa and a slice of cake.
- The Lounge in James College is a favourite for cocktails and society socials.
- Library Café is the perfect location to take a break from your studies in a relaxed environment, and is a great meeting point for students.
- Hub Café offers a great selection of hot and cold snacks as well as Grumpy Mule coffees. Enjoy your coffee on the go with the option to eat in or take away.
- Vanbrugh Food Court offers a range food from burritos to healthy Asian broths and a large range of salads and sandwiches. V Bar is also open in the evening for a quiet drink in a traditional pub environment.
- At the Galleria Restaurant at Roger Kirk you can get a hearty breakfast, noodles, pies, halal food and much more. The largest food court on campus, serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Derwent has a popular world street food menu from curry to falafels as well as serving Costa Coffee. In the evening and at the weekend D-Bar offers a large range of drinks and snacks.
- Discover Cookies in the Department of Biology, serving hot and cold snacks, freshly baked cookies and much more.
- The Scoop Student Cooperative is a student shop offering healthy, ethical, local goods on a budget.
- There is also a food market once a month on Market Square serving up tasty homemade treats.
- For a pub lunch, you can nip to The Charles or The Deramore Arms in Heslington Village.
Profits from all the outlets on campus are reinvested to build a fantastic student experience. This includes investment in societies, sports clubs and developing facilities around the University.
For information about all the venues across campus see:
If you're really passionate about food and drink you might be interested in joining one of these student societies:
- Baking Society
- Cocktail Society
- Coffee Society
- Real Ale Society
- Vegetarian and Vegan Society
- Wine Appreciation Society
Supermarkets and shops
- Nisa supermarket in three locations - two on Campus West: Market Square and Halifax College, and a new shop open on Campus East.
- Gift shop selling gifts, study essentials and official branded University of York clothing & merchandise.
Catered accommodation and meal deals
Catered Accommodation is available for undergraduate students which includes breakfast and a two-course meal. We also have a Meals in Advance Deal available to all students, where you can buy discounted meals on a term by term basis.