Accessibility statement

Support for refugees

Applying to York?

The University welcomes refugees, asylum seekers and other people seeking sanctuary who are currently living in the UK. We recognise that refugees may face many different challenges, including overcoming financial, emotional and cultural hurdles.

The University has a dedicated adviser for refugees, Tracey Clarke, who can advise you on any aspect of your student experience, including financial support, housing queries and academic progression.

To speak or meet with Tracey, contact the Student Hub.

Student Hub 

New students

Sign up for a student buddy

Financial support

Students who have refugee immigration status can apply for funding from the UK Government - this is Student Finance England if you normally live in England. See UCAS Student finance for refugees and asylum seekers for further information.

You may be entitled to the York Refugee Bursary.

A Student Adviser can help you if you are not sure how to apply for funding, if you're not sure you're getting all the funding that you are entitled to, or if you are simply struggling to manage your finances. Submit a self-referral enquiry to the Student Hub.

Study skills support

See our Study Skills Hub for help in developing your academic and professional skills, including:

  • academic and writing skills 
  • maths skills
  • academic integrity
  • IT training
  • languages

Study Skills Hub

Support for wellbeing

There are plenty of people you can approach for advice or a chat when you're at York.

See information on support and advice, as well as health and wellbeing help and support.

You can also talk to your dedicated adviser, Tracey Clarke, in the Student Hub.

Useful links

If things go wrong

Sometimes things happen that can get in the way of you progressing through your degree programme in the usual way. This could be if you have an illness or personal difficulties that interfere with you undertaking one or more formal assessments (including examinations) or meeting attendance or progression requirements.

See information about studying at York and academic progress issues.

If things go wrong