Accessibility statement

Student Hub: Support and Advice

Accessing Student Hub services 

We are continuing to provide all our services remotely throughout the Summer term. 

This includes appointments with members of the Student Support and Advice and International Support teams as well as the provision of interim transcripts and completion of forms and other documents requested by students.  

Also, from the 19th April, some members of the Student Hub team will be available on campus in the Information Centre.  We recommend you visit in person only if you are not able to get the help you need remotely and require face to face support. It is important that you contact us first so that the appropriate arrangements can be made.

If you require support or advice from any of the teams within the Student Hub please see the appropriate contact information below. Your enquiry is very important to us and a member of the team will respond to your query as quickly as possible.

  • Our Front of house team is a first point of contact to help you find any relevant support and advice you may need during your studies. Contact us by phone on +44 (0)1904 324140 or by email on 
  • Our Support and Advice team is the first point of contact for advice on a range of issues including:
    • financial support and money management
    • housing advice
    • academic progress issues
    • support for underrepresented student groups.     

                                        Student Support and Advice self-referral Form

  • Our International Student Support team offers support and advice to International students and can help to answer your questions about the immigration process including Visa queries, lost documents and Police Registration. To access support, please complete the self-referral form below. You can find further information on our Immigration Advice webpage.

 International Student Support self-referral Form

Contact us

Opening hours: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Friday 

  • Address: Student Hub, Market Square, University of York, York, YO10 5DD 
  • Phone: +44 (0)1904 324140
  • Email:

Out of hours support

You can email and the team will respond the next working day.

If you require urgent support please call:

  • General issues: +44 (0)1904 324444
  • Emergencies: +44 (0)1904 323333

The out of hours team will direct you to the support you need.


How we can help you:

  • Our Front of house team is a first point of contact to help you find any relevant support and advice you may need during your studies. We can also help if you require official letters. Most letters can now be instantly generated through e:Vision. If you have any queries about these letters or if the letter you require is not available to you, please e-mail  and the team will look into this for you. You can find further information on our Request a document webpage. We can also help you to complete forms confirming your enrolment although, as we are working remotely, we can only normally complete forms sent to us in an editable format.  If you are not sure if this is the case, please contact us. If your form asks for the details of your tuition fees, please send the form directly to

Student Support and Advice Team

  • Our Support and Advice team is the first point of contact for advice on a range of issues including financial support and money management, housing advice, academic progress issues and support for underrepresented student groups. You can self- refer to our Support and Advice team by completing the self-referral form below. A member of our team will contact you by e-mail as soon as possible and if you are offered an appointment, this can be conducted by telephone or video call.     

        Student Support and Advice self-referral form                                                               

International Student Support Team

  • Our International Student Support team offers support and advice to International students and can help to answer your questions about the immigration process including Visa queries, lost documents and Police Registration. To access support, please complete the self-referral form below. You can find further information on our Immigration Advice webpage.

 International Student Support self-referral Form

 Related links

  • Disability Services can arrange academic support and adjustments if you have a disability or long-term health condition that has an impact on your ability to study.
  • You may also wish to check our Help and Support webpage for further information about the University's support services. 
  • Student Misconduct - learn more about student misconduct and how to report itReport and Support
  • Our AccessAble guides are designed to make your tavel around campus more accessable.

Self-Isolating (Covid-19)

If you are self-isolating, please fill in the student self-isolation form The information you provide will be shared with relevant teams within the University to support you, including your academic department. For more information see our Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates page.

For information around support available if you are self-isolating please see our Self-isolation guidance for students webpage. 

Mental Health Support

  • The Open Door Team is a team of Mental Health Practitioners at the University providing support to registered students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties. 
  • University of York students can now access free online mental health support 24/7 with Togetherall (formerly Big White Wall).

VLE module

  • We've created a Student Hub module for the VLE including advice on student finance, housing, benefits, money guidance and Coronavirus information.

Check out the module

Latest tweet

Twitter logo of a white bird against a light blue background.Facebook icon of a white, lower case 'f' against a dark blue background.‌‌

Notice Board - April / May 2021

  • Rapid Results Testing - From Monday 19th April, if you take 2 covid tests at the campus testing centres in 1 week, you can take your two completed testing cards to one of our participating outlets, claim a free YORCUP and you will also get 5 free drinks and 1 free main meal. More information can be found on the University webpages. 12th April 2021
  • Represent York Exhibition - Paid Student Opportunity! We're looking for UoY art submissions of any medium to be included in our exhibition. The Represent York Exhibition invites submissions highlighting topics of diversity, race and representation on and off campus, as seen by students. Submissions are welcome from ALL students.Submissions will be compensated with a range from £20 to £50, depending on the medium, and will be displayed in the final art exhibitions. Please submit your work here. The deadline for submission is 16th April. If you have any questions, please contact 7th April 2021

  • Are you applying for a Railcard? For students who are eligible to apply for a railcard, we are now able to electronically stamp and sign PDF railcard forms if you apply for a railcard online (as an alternative to using the paper railcard form). Please email your completed form to 7th April 2021
  • Applications are now open for undergraduate Student Finance next academic year (2021/22)  If you have any questions about how to reapply, feel free to attend our ‘Reapplying for Student Finance’ online workshop on Wednesday 21 April from 2pm - 3pm. 24th March 2021
  • Applications to the Emergency Student Support Fund (ESSF) are now closed. For information about future opportunities to apply, please access the link above. The fund provides financial support of up to £500 per applicant for students facing unanticipated financial challenges due to the COVID-19 outbreak. The fund helps students with housing and food costs, travel expenses, technology costs associated with online learning, and other financial challenges. 16th March 2021.
  • Easter Campus Services -
    • Library Cafe, Hub Cafe and Cookies are open over Easter. Our outlets are currently takeaway only but are still serving a wide range of hot food, snacks, sandwiches, coffee and more! Visit the website to find out more.
    • Our deliveroo service is open Monday to Friday from 12pm to 6pm. You can order for delivery, or collect from Alcuin Bistro! Visit the webpages for more information and how to order, or search YorTakeout on the deliveroo app!
    • NISA stores - Check the webpages for the most up to date opening hours and information. 
    • NISA food deliveries - Order from our online store for free delivery, NEXT DAY delivery for orders placed before noon AND no minimum spend! All of your favourite groceries, frozen food, meal deals and more. 
    • UPAY - Download the uPay app to view our Alcuin Bistro takeaway menu. Order ahead and collect from the outlet! Visit the webpages for more information.
    • Online Clothing and gift shopBuy University of York branded clothing, stationery, accessories and gifts from our online storeDelivery make take longer than usual.
  • Government guidance for travel abroad - Whilst the stay in UK restrictions are in place, you are only allowed to travel abroad if you have a reasonable excuse. You can find further information on the government webpages. From 8th March 2021, you must complete a declaration form to declare the reason that you need to travel abroad (you can access this using the link above). 8th March 2021. 
  • Rent guarantor services for students - Many private landlords and estate agents require tenants to provide a rent guarantor who will be required to pay rent should the tenant fail to do so. To help students without a UK guarantor, we have partnered with YourGuarantor who will act as a rent guarantor for students living in the private sector. In addition, we operate an in-house Rent Guarantee Scheme open to UK students who are care leavers, are estranged from their parents, or have other exceptional circumstances. Further details on both these schemes are available on the Rent Guarantee Scheme webpages22nd February 2021

  • Funding Available for Postgraduate Researchers - The Postgraduate Research Writing-up+ Support Fund, created in response to the current circumstances, is available for Postgraduate Researchers who are experiencing financial hardship and meet one of the following criteria:

  • Connecting with other students -  Our colleges are running two schemes to help build and maintain friendships even while we’re not all physically together. If you’re a first year undergraduate, sign up for a Student buddy. If you’re living alone in York - no matter what year you’re in - use Student Connect to find someone with shared interests who could join your bubble. 26th January 2021. 
  • PGR Students - Connecting with others - Together with your academic departments, York Graduate Research School and the GSA, we are working on  ways to help you connect with each other through events, e.g. Thrive and Survive in your PhD, and initiatives, e.g. Writing Groups, and by forming online learning communities, e.g. Academic Skills Community Groups. Don't forget you can find out more about what’s on, how to connect with others, and find ideas of what to do during lockdown on our Covid webpages. 18th January 2021
  • International travellers and Test to Release - The Test to Release scheme was announced by Government in November 2020 to enable international travellers arriving in the UK to leave self-isolation early after 5 days, following a negative test. We will refund the cost of a Covid-19 PCR test taken by any newly-arrived international student who is in self-isolation in order to determine if they may be released early. Find out more here. 18th January 2021
  • YorWorld Community -  is an informal, virtual space where students can come together to chat, engage in activities and receive support from the International Student Support Team. Take part in our online chat; register your interest using the form below and we will send you a link to each zoom session. YorWorld Community Expression of Interest form 15 September 2020
  • *Nursing or Midwifery Student?* - Applications to the NHS Learning Support Fund are now open for new and continuing students. You could be eligible for £5000+ as part of a non-repayable grant! Find out more on NHSBSA's web-pages. 14 July 2020

Returning from a Leave of Absence

Sometimes students returning from Leave of Absence or placement worry that they might not know anyone on their course. All students may experience times when they struggle to make connections with others and get involved in activities and groups, whether that’s because they don’t know anyone who shares their interests and passions, or because they face barriers such as social anxiety, depression, lack of motivation, or lack of confidence. If you would like help to get to know others on your course or in your college, please complete this short form, and someone from your College or your Department will make contact with you.

Request support for connecting with others

Use this form to let us know if you would like help to get to know others in your college or on your course (or both!).  There are all sorts of reasons why people may struggle to get to know others, for example they may:

  • Be returning from a Leave of Absence or a Placement
  • Be the only person in their flat who has a particular hobby, interest or passion (for example, a sport)
  • Have social anxiety, depression, or lack of motivation, that makes it hard to get involved in social activities
  • Might not know what kinds of things are available (such as groups, societies, events etc.)
  • Might not know anyone who wants to take part in a particular activity (for example, going to the gym, yoga, or an event)

For all of these, there are things we can do to help you link up with others and overcome any barriers you may face. If you complete this form it will be reviewed and someone will contact you from the most relevant part of the University, for example, someone from your department or your college.