Accessing Student Hub Services
The Student Hub is open and you can access our services in a variety of ways. We have recently moved to the basement of the Information Centre, just along from Nisa.
Members of the team are available on campus and you can also access all our services remotely.
If you require support or advice from any of the teams within the Student Hub please see the appropriate contact information below.
How we can help you:
- Our Front of house team:
is a first point of contact to help you find any relevant support and advice you may need during your studies. We can also help if you require official letters. Most letters can now be instantly generated through e:Vision. If you have any queries about these letters or if the letter you require is not available to you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and the team will look into this for you. You can find further information on our Request a document webpage. We can also help you to complete forms confirming your enrolment although, as we are working remotely, we can only normally complete forms sent to us in an editable format. If you are not sure if this is the case, please contact us. If your form asks for the details of your tuition fees, please send the form directly to email@example.com
Hub Opening hours: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday
- Phone: +44 (0)1904 324140
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org the team will respond within 3 working days
- *Live Chat 10am-4pm Monday to Friday. Select the 'General Enquiries' option.*
- Our Support and Advice team is the first point of contact for advice on a range of issues including financial support and money management, housing advice, academic progress issues and support for underrepresented student groups. You can self- refer to our Support and Advice team by completing the self-referral form below. A member of our team will contact you by email as soon as possible and if you are offered an appointment, this can be conducted by telephone or video call.
*Now available on Live Chat - 1-2pm on a Tuesday. Select the 'Support and Guidance' option.*
- Our International Student Support team:
offers support and advice to International students and can help to answer your questions about the immigration process including Visa queries, lost documents and Police Registration. To access support, please complete the self-referral form below. You can find further information on our Immigration Advice webpage.
International Student Support self-referral Form
If you require urgent support please call one of the numbers below:
- Disability Services can arrange academic support and adjustments if you have a disability or long-term health condition that has an impact on your ability to study.
- You may also wish to check our Help and Support webpage for further information about the University's support services.
- Student Misconduct - learn more about student misconduct and how to report itReport and Support
- Our AccessAble guides are designed to make your travel around campus more accessible.
For more information see our Coronavirus (COVID-19) updates page.
Mental Health Support
- The Open Door Team is a team of Mental Health Practitioners at the University providing support to registered students experiencing psychological or mental health difficulties.
- University of York students can now access free online mental health support 24/7 with Togetherall (formerly Big White Wall).
Noticeboard - June 2022
- This week is Refugee Week 2022! You can get involved and learn more about University events and activities via the Refugee Week webpage, including city-wide activities being promoted on the York Refugee Week webpage.You may also be interested to know that colleagues in Sociology are collecting good quality second hand clothes (no underwear) for local refugees, as well as donations for the local food bank, which may be helpful for those of you students leaving your accommodation at the end of term. If you would like to contribute to this, donations are being collected in LMB216/A. For any queries please contact Rachael Burns, via email@example.com.
Student Connect - Student Connect has been launched to help students to make new friends and expand their uni networks. Student Connect matches you with other students from your course or college so that you can make new connections. Any questions? Contact student-connect
- Applications to the Emergency Student Support Fund (ESSF) are now closed. See the Assistance Funding page for details of other financial support options. 29 September 2021
- Are you applying for a Railcard? For students who are eligible to apply for a railcard, we are now able to electronically stamp and sign PDF railcard forms if you apply for a railcard online (as an alternative to using the paper railcard form). Please email your completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org. 7 April 2021
Rent guarantor services for students - Many private landlords and estate agents require tenants to provide a rent guarantor who will be required to pay rent should the tenant fail to do so. To help students without a UK guarantor, we have partnered with YourGuarantor who will act as a rent guarantor for students living in the private sector. In addition, we operate an in-house Rent Guarantee Scheme open to UK students who are care leavers, are estranged from their parents, or have other exceptional circumstances. Further details on both these schemes are available on the Rent Guarantee Scheme webpages. 22 February 2021
- PGR Students - Connecting with others - Together with your academic departments, York Graduate Research School and the GSA, we are working on ways to help you connect with each other through events, eg Thrive and Survive in your PhD, and initiatives, eg Writing Groups, and by forming online learning communities, eg Academic Skills Community Groups. 18 January 2021
- YorWorld Community - is an informal, virtual space where students can come together to chat, engage in activities and receive support from the International Student Support Team. Take part in our online chat; register your interest using the form below and we will send you a link to each zoom session. YorWorld Community Expression of Interest form 15 September 2020
- *Nursing or Midwifery Student?* - Applications to the NHS Learning Support Fund are now open for new and continuing students. You could be eligible for £5000+ as part of a non-repayable grant! Find out more on NHSBSA's web-pages. 14 July 2020
Returning from a Leave of Absence
Sometimes students returning from Leave of Absence or placement worry that they might not know anyone on their course. All students may experience times when they struggle to make connections with others and get involved in activities and groups, whether that’s because they don’t know anyone who shares their interests and passions, or because they face barriers such as social anxiety, depression, lack of motivation, or lack of confidence. If you would like help to get to know others on your course or in your college, please complete this short form, and someone from your College or your Department will make contact with you.
Request support for connecting with others
Use this form to let us know if you would like help to get to know others in your college or on your course (or both!). There are all sorts of reasons why people may struggle to get to know others, for example they may:
- Be returning from a Leave of Absence or a Placement
- Be the only person in their flat who has a particular hobby, interest or passion (for example, a sport)
- Have social anxiety, depression, or lack of motivation, that makes it hard to get involved in social activities
- Might not know what kinds of things are available (such as groups, societies, events etc.)
- Might not know anyone who wants to take part in a particular activity (for example, going to the gym, yoga, or an event)
For all of these, there are things we can do to help you link up with others and overcome any barriers you may face. If you complete this form it will be reviewed and someone will contact you from the most relevant part of the University, for example, someone from your department or your college.