Accessibility statement

Transfer course

If you are unhappy with your current programme of study, you should talk to your supervisor and discuss the options available to you. One option is to transfer to a different programme of study within the University. It is possible to request a transfer at any time, but it usually happens during or at the end of the first year of study. 


Before you apply to transfer to another programme of study it is essential that you get advice and understand all the implications.


You will need academic advice as the change may affect the modules you take. You will need to accumulate sufficient credits to obtain an award (360 for a three-year degree, 480 for a four-year degree and 600 for a five-year degree).

Your career options may also be affected. Your supervisor or another academic in your current department will be able to help as will Careers and Placements. 

If your programme is based in more than one department (eg joint honours) you will need to speak to staff in each department.

The further along you are in your programme of study the fewer options you will have. Firstly, there are funding implications associated with changes after completion of the first year. It is also very unusual for a change to be approved after the end of the second year (except to a longer or shorter variant of the same programme).

Talk to staff in the department(s) you wish to transfer to. You could also talk to students on the programme to make sure that it is the right option for you.


If you pay tuition fees at the home rate, changing the duration of your studies can affect your entitlement to financial support. The rules are complicated, so it is important to get advice from the Student Advisers at the Student Hub.


Additional advice and support on the actual procedure for a transfer is available from your departmental administrator, advisers in the Student Hub or staff in Student Services.

Criteria and conditions

There is no automatic right to transfer. You can only transfer into a different department or programme if there is sufficient space and they are willing to offer you a place.  

You must have a good academic standing in your current department and able to meet the academic criteria and requirements for the new programme. If you are applying to transfer to a new department, your application must be approved and signed by your original department and your new department.

You will need to complete the academic requirements of the new programme in full. It is possible that previous credits can be transferred. The new department will make this decision.

If you are transferring to a similar programme, repeat study will be avoided where possible. This means you may need to replace modules you’ve already studied with elective modules.

Where a transfer involves an exemption from an assessment or the repeat of programme, the approval of the Special Cases Committee is required.

It may not be possible for you to start your new programme until the next available opportunity (usually Autumn Term). In this case, you’ll need to take a leave of absence for the rest of the session or successfully complete the academic year in your current course. You must check if this will affect your entitlement to Student Loans and other funding with the Student Advisers.

Tier 4 (Student) Visas

If the transfer of programme changes the length of your enrolment period, you should consult with an Immigration Adviser as you may need to inform UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI).

The University is required to report changes of circumstances (e.g. leave of absence and/or changes of programme) for an international student to UK Visas and Immigration.

For more information please see the Immigration Support Service.

How to apply

  1. Talk to your supervisor about the options and implications. 
  2. Contact the Departmental Administrator for the new programme.
  3. If your original and new department agree to the programme transfer, you should complete Section A of the Application to Transfer Course form and email it to your supervisor. Your supervisor and department will then complete their bit of the form and send it to your new department.
  4. Your new department will forward the transfer request to the Chair of the Board of Studies for approval.
  5. When the transfer is approved, it will be sent to Student Services to update your student record.
  6. Once your student record has been updated, notifications will be sent to your department, the fees office, Student Finance England and the UKVI (where changes to your course may result in your tuition fees or Student Finance being reassessed).

You must include your current student identification number (which can be found on the back of your student card).

The form must be sent from your York email address. Any posted correspondence will be sent to your current contact address so ensure your information is correct on your e:Vision account.

Until formal approval is given, you will remain registered on your current programme and are expected to comply with all its requirements, including attendance at all classes.

If your application is successful, your e:Vision account will be amended to show the start date of your new programme and any conditions required.


Students wishing to transfer from another University to a programme of study at York

If you want to transfer from a course delivered by another university to one of our programmes for which you meet the entry requirements, this can be considered through our admissions process. We will take completed credit and other study into consideration as appropriate in line with our policies on recognition of prior learning. Visit the Credit transfer and recognition of prior learning web page.

Students wishing to transfer from York to a programme of study at another University

If you wish to transfer to another provider, or if a transfer is needed arising from our student protection plan arrangements we will provide you with advice. For example we will confirm what credit you have accumulated, level of study undertaken and your academic achievement through providing you with a student transcript.

Student Transfer Arrangements

Student Transfer Arrangements (PDF , 102kb)

Who to contact

For academic progress issues you should talk to your supervisor.

You may also wish to talk to a Student Adviser:

+44 (0)1904 324140

For advice on immigration and Tier 4 visas:

+44 (0)1904 324140