Accessibility statement


Taught students

The following pages contain information for undergraduates and taught postgraduates.

There are many occasions when personal circumstances may make it necessary for you to change aspects of your course. However, the decision to make changes to your course should not be taken lightly. You should discuss any proposed changes with your supervisor. It is essential that you understand the implications that any changes may have.

You are a taught student if you are taking one of the following awards:

  • MA, LLM, MPA, MRes, MSc
  • MChem, MEng, MMath, MPhys
  • PGCert, PGDip
  • BA, BEng, LLB, BSc, FD
  • CertHE, DipHE
  • GradCert, GradDip

Leave of absence

Take a break from your studies for medical or personal reasons.

Change your programme

Transfer to a different programme of study within the University.

Withdraw from your programme

Leave the University.

Change your mode of attendance

Switch from full-time to part-time study, or vice-versa.

Apply for an extension (taught postgraduates only)

Take extra time to write up and submit your work.

Useful contacts

For academic progress issues you should talk to your supervisor.

You may also find the following contacts helpful:


Information for staff

If a student is making a change to their programme, guidance is available on the staff Supporting students pages.

Information for staff