Sexual violence

The University of York is committed to preventing, responding to, and investigating incidents of sexual violence.

If you or someone you know has experienced sexual harassment, assault or violence there is help available.

No matter where you were or what you were doing, wearing and saying, whether you were drunk or under the influence of drugs – you are not to blame.

If there is no immediate threat, the most important thing is to talk to someone you trust. This could be a friend, family member, College Tutor, Campus Security or anyone else you feel comfortable sharing with.

If you are in immediate danger call the police on 999. Or, if you are on campus, call Campus Security on 01904 32 3333 or use the Safezone App

Related links

Deciding what to do next

There is a lot of support available both on campus and off. Find out what all your options are below. 

Support from the University

We will listen to you, support you in making a decision and where possible take practical steps to assist you.

During office hours

Student Hub
01904 324140

College Wellbeing Support
Email the appropriate helpline or contact your Assistant Head, Administrator or College Tutor.

YUSU Advice & Support Centre
01904 323724

GSA Advice Service
01904 322718

Open Door

For help with the psychological impact of a sexual assault, make an appointment to speak to a member of Open Door by phoning 01904 32 4140, or complete the Open Door online referral form, or email

Outside office hours

Security - they'll contact a trained staff member.
01904 32 3333

Nightline (8pm to 8am)
01904 323735

Support outside the University

Bridge House: Sexual Assault Referral Centre 

Bridge House is York’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC). They offer free and confidential support and information. If something happened in the last 7 days, Bridge House can collect and store medical evidence, even if you are not sure you want to involve the police at the moment.

0330 223 0362 (9am-5pm) 24 hour answer phone
Out of hours helpline: 0330 223 0099

IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services)

IDAS provide the Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) service across North Yorkshire and run a rape support helpline which is available on Tuesdays and Thursdays on 0300 111 0777.

ISVAs provide parctical support, information and advice to those going through the Criminal Justice System.
03000 110 110


Survive offer support for survivors of rape and sexual abuse in York and North Yorkshire. Support can be offered through ongoing counselling, a one-off 1:1 meeting, support groups, or through the helpline. 
Helpline: 01904 642830 (Wednesdays 1:00pm to 3:30pm)
Office: 01904 638813

York Sexual Health Centre

There are emergency appointments available for people who have been the victim of sexual assault. Please note that emergency contraception is only effective if taken within five days of an incident. York Sexual Health Centre offers a free and confidential counselling service. You can be referred by a member of the York Sexual Health staff, self-refer online or you can call them on 01904 721111.


Your GP can offer you medical advice and guidance. If you are registered with Unity Health on campus you can telephone 01904 32 3290 to make an appointment.

Reporting to the University

Talking to a member of University staff (disclosing an assault) is not the same thing as making a formal report. If you wish to formally report an incident of sexual violence you can complete the online incident reporting form on the Student misconduct page.

Reporting to the police

You can report an incident to the police at any time.

If you are fearful for your safety, call 999 and get to a safe place.

If you are not in immediate danger use the non-emergency number 101.

North Yorkshire Police treat all reports of rape and sexual assault seriously. Victims will be treated with dignity and respect throughout the process.

Visit the North Yorkshire Police rape and sexual assualt web page for more information.

Choosing not to report

You may decide that you do not want to report to the University or police. If so, you can still access support both from the University and outside of the University in the ways outlined in the tabs above. The support is free and will not pressure you to report the sexual assault.

Reporting an assault or abuse from weeks, months or years ago

Often attending university gives you space to reflect on past experiences and the safety to report assault or abuse for the first time. The services outlined are relevant no matter when the assault or abuse took place. All disclosures will be treated seriously.

Reporting on behalf of someone else

If someone you know has been sexually assaulted and you don’t know what to do, speak to the Student Hub or a member of your College team. They will help you make an informed decision.