The University of York has a long history of welcoming students from all over the world. Of our 20,000 plus students over 4,500 are from outside the UK, representing more than 150 countries. At York, you'll be sure to have an international educational experience! See why the choice is York

Sign up for email updates

Chat to our students

Get a taste of studying in York through our free online taster courses. Develop your English language and a number of other skills, and get the opportunity to interact with our student community.

In 2023, we welcomed:

  • 9 students from Oceania
  • 8 students from Australia.

They're studying a range of subjects including Archaeology, Computer Science, English and Related Literature, and Management.

Any questions?

Joseph is our Regional Manager for Australia. Please don’t hesitate to contact him with any queries you might have about studying here.

Book an online appointment with Joseph

Joseph Swan

Joseph Swan

Regional Manager for Australia
+44 (0) 1904 324024

Application information

Scholarships and funding

Funding, scholarships and loans

We offer a number of scholarships and funding opportunities for international students:

We award many international scholarships every year, recognising achievement by applying a tuition fee discount:

You could also be entitled to apply for the following competitive scholarships:

  • Gowrie Scholarships - bursaries currently valued at up to $8,000 per annum targeted at those who are serving or have served in the Australian Armed Forces and their lineal descendants. Available Masters by Research or PhD programmes
  • The Roberta Sykes Scholarship - this awards up to AUD $20,000 to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to undertake postgraduate study abroad (Masters and PhD).

Country specific scholarships

Commonwealth Scholarship

various. The University of York is a host university for the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission. Various opportunities are available throughout the year. The majority of awards are funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.

Other sources of funding

There are a number of external funding bodies that exist to support study in the UK. Government departments, international agencies, charitable organisations and private companies may also be able to provide financial support for certain subject areas. If there is a local British Council office near you they can provide up-to-date advice on what is available for your country and you can search for scholarships online.

Undergraduate entry requirements

If you are studying one of the qualifications below in conjunction with an ATAR you will need to score between 85 and 92 in the ATAR. If you have studied QCE in conjunction with OP we accept between Band 5 and Band 1. The requirements may vary depending on the state and the course you're applying for.

  • Australian Capital Territory ACT Year 12 Certificate + ATAR
  • New South Wales Higher School Certificate (HSC) + ATAR
  • Northern Territory Certificate of Education (NTCE) + ATAR
  • Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE) Senior Certificate + ATAR (previously OP)
  • South Australia South Australian Certificate of Education (SACE) + ATAR
  • Tasmania Tasmanian Certificate of Education (TCE) + ATAR
  • Victoria Victorian Certificate of Education (VCE) + ATAR
  • Western Australia WA Certificate of Education (WACE) + ATAR
  • Other post school qualifications may also be considered for entry to York on a case by case basis.

To help you meet our undergraduate entry requirements, you can study a Foundation course through our International Pathway College. Explore our international pathways.

Course-specific requirements

Visit the course pages for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional requirements such as work experience or submission of written work. 

Search undergraduate courses

Postgraduate entry requirements

Postgraduate taught courses

For a postgraduate taught course such as a Masters, you would normally need a Bachelors degree from a recognised institution.

Typically you would need at least the equivalent to a UK upper second class honours degree, however some courses will accept lower second class honours degrees. Actual requirements will vary by course.

  • Second Class Honours (Upper Division) or a grade of 'Distinction' - normally 70-75% is considered comparable to a UK 2:1. This may vary according to HEI.
  • Second Class Honours (Lower Division) or a grade of 'Credit' - normally 60-65% is considered comparable to a UK 2:2. This may vary according to HEI.

Research degrees

For a research degree, such as an MPhil or a PhD, you would normally need a Bachelors degree plus either a Masters degree in a relevant subject or some experience of conducting research.

International Pathway College

To help you meet our postgraduate entry requirements, you can study a Pre-Masters course through our International Pathway College. Explore our international pathways.

Course-specific requirements

Visit the course page for details of the entry requirements specific to your chosen course. Some courses also have additional entry requirements such as work experience or submission of written work.

Search postgraduate courses

English language requirements

English language requirements vary by academic department.

English language support

We can help you with your English language skills both before and during your studies.

Fees information


Find out how much our courses cost:

Living costs and additional expenses

Use our living cost guides to plan your budget:

How to apply


To apply to York, you will need to complete an application via UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service).

Apply for an undergraduate course

Clearing 2024

Already got your results? We can advise on whether we can offer you a Clearing place.

Explore vacancies and apply

Waiting for your results? Plan ahead with vacancy updates, results-day tips and more.

Get Clearing alerts


You can apply online for taught Masters courses and research degrees. You can apply all year round in most cases but we recommend that you apply as early as possible due to competition for places and funding application deadlines.

Apply for a postgraduate taught course

Apply for a research degree

Meet us in your country

Visits to your country

We don't have any upcoming visits planned to your country at the moment.

Sign up for email updates to find out about upcoming visits.

Support for you in your country

We don't currently have any authorised agents in Australia. However, you can seek advice from the British Council in Australia.

Chat to a student

Find out what it's like to live and study at York from the people who know it best.

Start a conversation

Student societies

There are over 200 social, cultural and religious student-led societies that you can join at York including the International Students' Association (ISA).

You may also be interested in: