Looking for work during your studies in the UK? Improve your chance of success with our top tips.
* Note: Course requirements for Masters and PhD students are different; if you are a postgraduate the 20 hours per week maximum is likely to apply throughout the year.
You may be hoping to get a job related to your course of study, or based on your previous work experience in your home country (particularly if you are a postgraduate student). This may not be easy to find when you need part-time work to fit round your timetable, and you may not get your perfect job immediately. But remember, all opportunities can help you develop skills, and understand more about British culture and business - which should benefit you in the future.
Some students at York are studying on a degree programme which includes a year in industry. Other students may apply for the Placement Year programme offered by Careers and Placements, which is for students who are not already registered on a year in industry course.
If you are interested in exploring the possibility of doing a placement year, and are not already registered on a course which includes this, you should first contact the University's Immigration Advice Team to discuss your visa options. Extending your course to do a placement year would mean extending your visa also, and you should investigate this before expressing an interest in the Placement Year programme.
Who to contactCareers and Placements
- Harewood Way, University of York, York, YO10 5DD
- Students and York graduates can contact us or book an appointment via Careers Gateway
- Tel: +44 (0)1904 332685
- Term time: Monday - Friday, 10am - 5pm
- Vacation opening times vary - please check the opening times page