We offer a varied programme of in-person and online events. Go to Events in Handshake and type UoY in the search box to see our events.
Attending a virtual event with us? These helpful hints and tips will help you think about how you approach and engage with virtual careers events.
Preparing for the event
- Start by registering for the event on Handshake and creating a reminder in your calendar so you don’t miss out. If you are later unable to attend the event, please cancel your place in advance on Handshake.
- It would be useful to check your audio and video work in advance so you’re confident going into the session.
- These events hope to promote a thoughtful discussion, thinking of questions in advance can help you be confident in putting forward your ideas and engaging with the employers and your peers.
- Consider if you are dressed appropriately to meet employers and check your name on Zoom is displayed correctly.
- Think about what's visible in your background; you can sit your device on top of a pack of paper or similar to raise the eyeline and ensure your face is within view.
- If at home it would be a good idea to notify housemates or put a sign on your door so that you're not disturbed during the session.
During the event
- We advise logging on to a virtual event at least five minutes before the start time.
- If you know you are going to be late for a session, or have to leave early, the organisers will be grateful to know ahead of time, either through a Handshake message or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The employer would love to hear from you during the event and this is a great way to gain confidence and experience in engaging directly with employers. We encourage you to do this by having your camera on throughout the event, turning your microphone on when directed, sending emoticon reactions, or offering thoughts in the chat box.
After the event
At the end of the event, most employers will be more than happy to chat to you. Alternatively, you could message them directly on Handshake, or connect with them on LinkedIn after the event. Make sure you have your camera on to ask any last questions, introduce yourself or simply say thank you.
Our main recruitment events where you can connect with top employers to find out about graduate jobs, placement years and summer internships. Further information will be available in Autumn Term
Organised by the Centre for Global Programmes, this fair features opportunities to study, work or volunteer abroad.
Fair with a focus on final year students and postgrads looking for graduate jobs.
A wide range of employers get involved with workshops and skills sessions at the University of York - these offer a great opportunity to find out about the company and its culture, and ask questions direct to the employer. Sessions may be held online or as in person events, check the details in Handshake to find out more. Type "UoY" in the search box to find employer events organised via the University of York's Careers and Placements team.
Many employers also offer their own programme of virtual events and insight sessions, in addition to those arranged with Careers and Placements. You can also find these in Handshake event listings.
Virtual careers sessions
We provide careers drop-in sessions, Monday to Friday, 11am to 1pm during term time in the Careers and Placements building, and online First Steps appointments for similar questions. We can also answer your questions via Handshake (message the Careers Information Team) or can arrange an online drop-in if that suits you better.
We also offer:
For full details about these, how to book and how to prepare, see our Appointments page.
Keep up with our latest events news
To book to attend events on campus or virtual events, see our employer pages.
"A very informative and motivating event
Gives you a stronger idea of what skills you already have which are relevant
Gave information on the actual skills employers look for, from the employers themselves
inspiring… informative… a bit different."