Accessibility statement

Student loans

Student loan problems

If you haven't received the first instalment of your student loan, read our advice at the bottom of the Freshers' Week page.

Postgraduate research students

Research funding information for postgraduate research students is on the York Graduate Research School pages.

Continuing funding for UK and EU undergraduate students

UK and EU students need to reapply for their student loan for each year of their studies. Applications usually open around Easter. Continuing students who do not have their applications automatically processed will be contacted and asked to apply online. 

If your application is late, you may not receive your money at the start of term.

In order to receive your funding, you need to re-enrol with the University at the start of each academic year. More information is on the enrolment pages.

Where you usually liveWho to apply to
England Student Finance England
Scotland Student Awards Agency for Scotland
Wales Student Finance Wales
Northern Ireland Student Finance Northern Ireland
EU EU students cannot apply online. You will be sent the application forms. See information for EU students on

Healthcare and social work bursaries

If you receive a bursary from the NHS, you must reapply for your bursary each academic year in order for payments to continue. NHS Student Bursaries will contact you to advise you when to reapply.

You can find information on the NHS Business Services Authority website.

Placements and study abroad 

There are some changes to student funding if you go on a work placement or a study abroad exchange for a full academic year. See information about placements for more details.

International students

Funding for US students

Students from the USA need to apply for a new US Direct Loan each academic year. Current US students should contact Student Financial Support when applying for a loan, changing their existing loan, or if there have been changes to their mode of study.