Accessibility statement

Work while you study

Part-time work is a good way to earn money while studying, learn new skills and meet new people.

Students at York can work up to 20 hours per week during term time. Many work around the city and some are employed by the University.

Finding a part-time job

Jobs in the university

The university employs students as:

YUSU advertises jobs in bars and administrative roles. Jobs are occasionally available elsewhere on campus in roles like catering, library support and cleaning. These might be advertised on the university’s job board. You could also ask directly if any vacancies are available.

Vacancy sources in York

Use these websites to find part-time jobs:

For national sites, remember to choose a geographical location to search by. 

Recruitment agencies

Local recruitment agencies may be a good source of temporary work.

Search Agency Central to find relevant local agencies specialising in the kind of work you’re looking for.

Unadvertised opportunities

Some part-time jobs are not advertised online. Many can be found informally through notices on shop/restaurant windows or through word of mouth.

If you have friends already working, make sure they know you’re looking for work so they can let you know if their employer is looking for new staff.

If you have worked for a company with a chain of outlets around the UK, check to see if you could transfer to a local branch.

Getting a job with no experience

If you have no previous experience, be realistic and appreciate that you may find it hard to find your ideal part-time job straight away.

Volunteering is a good way to develop skills like customer service and cash handling (for example, in a charity shop).

Think about how your skills may be valued by a potential employer. Do you have good language or IT skills, or personal qualities like motivation, reliability and a willingness to learn?

Some jobs might be advertised with no experience necessary:

  • Some call centre roles, which offer on the job training
  • Low level roles in hospitality sector like cleaning
  • Flyering and other promotional work
  • Some care work.

Working for yourself

Some students might consider self-employed work, such as freelancing, while studying. Occasionally, you might see freelancing opportunities on Handshake.

Before you do this, think about whether:

  • you understand what is required regarding tax and national insurance
  • you have agreed terms, such as how you will be paid (for example, will you be working for an agreed fee or an hourly rate?)
  • you have the time management skills to fit this kind of work around your studies.

We offer a range of support to students who are setting up their own business or doing freelance work. If you are looking for advice or if you have any questions, go to our enterprise pages or email

If you’re an international student studying on a Tier 4/Student visa you are not allowed to do any self-employed or freelance work, but you may be able to apply for a Start-up visa after graduation.

Read our additional information to help you successfully find work. For immigration advice about working during your studies, contact the Immigration Advice Service.

Employment law and taxes

National Minimum Wage

The minimum wage changes every April. As of April 2020 the rates are:

  • £6.45 for people aged 18 to 20
  • £8.20 for people aged 21 to 24
  • £8.72 for people aged 25 and over.

Read more about your employment rights.

Paying tax

Read information on about paying tax as a student.

Getting a National Insurance Number

When you get a job you need to give your employer your national insurance number. All UK students should have been issued with one when they were 16. If you don’t know yours, you can contact the National Insurance Number helpline.

Non-UK students need to get a National Insurance Number to be employed in the UK. Read more about this in our rights at work page.

Next steps