When you've accepted your place to study at York, please allow up to 48 hours to be able to apply for accommodation after receiving your log-in details.
Accommodation applications for new undergraduate students expecting to join us in 2022/23 are open. The firm guarantee deadline for new undergraduate students was 9 June 2022. Students can still apply from this date and we'll try our best to assist you in finding accommodation that's owned, managed or approved by the University.
This page will tell you everything you need to know about the application process.
Continuing students: Find out about living on campus next year.
How does the advance payment work?
Securing an advance payment allows us to manage demand for our popular accommodation offering.
- If you take up your accommodation offer, your advance payment will be deducted from your first rent instalment
- If, after receiving your results, you choose another institution as your unconditional firm choice your payment will be refunded in full.
Opportunity for all
Here at York, we’re dedicated to widening access to higher education regardless of background or individual circumstance.
How to apply
When you apply for accommodation, we’ll ask you to rank your room choices in order. Each choice is for a specific room type in a specific college.
You can apply for different room types across different colleges. Just make sure to include at least three shared bathroom bedrooms in your preferences.
If you think you’ll be unable to pay the advance payment of £200 or you’re expecting to receive the maximum maintenance loan, please email firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
Login at accommodation.york.ac.uk using your You@York login details
Click ‘create application’ for the next academic year
On the first page check that all of your personal details are correct
You’ll then need to select your application type: Single, couple or family
Remember not to use your school or college email address as your contact email, as you may miss out on important communications after A level results day (such as your room offer) if you lose access to this.
List your top seven accommodation options in order of preference by clicking the rooms banner icon. Each preference will specify a college, room type, let length, catering and bathroom information.
- You can use the dropdowns and slider in the right-hand column to filter your search
- You can rearrange the order of your preferences by dragging and dropping them in the right-hand column
If you're a Nursing or Midwifery student, catered accommodation won't be included in your options.
You can log back in and change your preferences at any time. Don't worry, we'll use your original application date when we allocate.
You’ll be asked if you have any additional requirements for health, welfare or mobility reasons. Please don't wait until you have received a room offer to let us know about these as we may not be able to find you a suitable room at that stage.
The last thing you’ll need to do is let us know who we can share your data with. This will include who we are able to talk to about your accommodation and room offer (including family members or carers) and the third party accommodation providers we can share your application data with if we need to.
Once you’re happy with your consent options you’ll be asked to review all of your options and choices before you submit your application. Remember, you can log back in and edit your application at any time.
If you would like to change your consent options, or allow us to speak to someone other than yourself about your accommodation once you have moved in, please let us know at email@example.com.
After you’ve submitted your application, you’ll be emailed a link to pay an advance payment of £200 to secure your room.
You won’t have to pay the advance payment at this time if:
- you’re expecting to receive the maximum maintenance loan and you’ve contacted firstname.lastname@example.org about deferring your payment
- you hold an insurance offer with us (you’re not covered by our guarantee).
- Apply early. Even if you change your preferences later, we’ll use the date of your original application when allocating rooms.
- Choose a variety of room types that you think you’ll be happy with.
What happens next
1. Application confirmed
Once you’ve applied and paid your advance payment (if applicable), we'll send you a confirmation email. If you mentioned additional requirements, please ensure you upload the relevant supporting medical evidence. We'll be in touch if we require further information.
2. Receive your room offer*
Room offers are sent out in the middle of August on UK A level results day, and will contain an offer of a room detailing the college, room type and let length.
3. Accept your room offer
You’ll need to accept your offer by the date stated in the email by following the link provided. Make sure you have internet access for this.
4. Receive your room number
Room numbers will be sent out in September. Around this time you’ll also start to hear more from your college about arrivals and events.
5. Pay your first rent instalment
Your rent is split over three termly instalments, the first of which will be due in October. We recommend setting up a direct debit.
*subject to change dependent on 2022 exam results day and clearing period dates.
Your room allocation and offer
Most students receive an offer for one of their top three preferences.
For first year undergraduates:
- Firm offer holders receive priority.
- We take the date (but not time) of applications into consideration when allocating.
- We allocate to students who applied by the guarantee deadline before those who applied later on.
How it works:
- We collect and hold all applications until our guarantee deadline date
- After the deadline is over, we put all firm choice guaranteed students through our ‘mass allocator’ system in batches - taking into consideration the date the application was made.
- The mass allocator will go through each batch, and pick out a student at random. That student will get their first choice if possible. If their first choice is sold out, they get their second choice, if their second choice is unavailable, their third choice, and so on, moving through students until everyone in the batch is assigned a room offer.
The best chance you have to secure one of your top three choices is to make York your firm choice and apply within the first few days of opening.
Not everyone will receive one of their top three accommodation preferences given the variety of our rooms and that some room types are more popular than others.
If you are unhappy with your room offer, there are options to consider. However, most students are happy with their room after moving in and we receive very few transfer requests.
If you're expecting to receive the maximum maintenance loan, you may be able to defer your £200 advance payment. You can request this by contacting email@example.com. If approved, you'll pay the £200 with your first term’s rent instead.
Can I cancel my booking?
You are not eligible to end your agreement if you are a registered student at the University. If you are a new student who does not arrive in York to start your course and inform us you wish to cancel:
- More than four weeks before the start of your booking: we'll keep your £200 advance payment or charge you £200 if you have not paid it yet.
- Less than four weeks before the start of your booking: we'll keep your £200 advance payment, and you'll be charged four weeks’ rent.
After the start date of booking: Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be charged the equivalent of eight weeks’ rent from the day you contact us and a £200 cancellation fee.
To cancel your booking, please email email@example.com. We'll confirm whether you're eligible, and inform you of any additional charges.