Accessibility statement

Programme termination, extensions and transfers


If you are academically or professionally unsatisfactory the Board of Studies can recommend that your programme is ended before its normal end date. This was previously termed 'sending down'.

A student might be academically unsatisfactory for reasons such as poor attendance (without a good reason) or through having failed so much of the programme that it is no longer possible to graduate.

If you have failed to meet a published progression hurdle which is a requirement to continue into the next year then the Board of Studies will not need to recommend programme termination to Special Cases Committee. Instead the Department will notify the University Examinations Office who will send a letter explaining that you cannot continue on your programme and explaining your right of appeal.


A programme extension can be recommended where a student cannot complete the programme within the normal timescale.

During the period of a programme extension you may be 'in residence', ie registered, paying tuition fees, and receiving teaching or, more commonly, 'out of residence' ie not registered, not paying fees and not entitled to teaching.


You may request to transfer from one programme to another. This happens most commonly during or at the end of the first year of an undergraduate programme. Some transfers require permission from Special Cases Committee.

You can only transfer to a different department if that department has sufficient spaces left and is willing to offer you a place.

There is no automatic right to transfer.

If you are not happy on your current programme but you are undecided about what you would like to do next then please contact your Academic Supervisor for advice. To discuss issues such as the implications for student funding, tuition fees and accommodation you should contact the Student Support Hub.

If you have been offered a place in another department please confirm in writing or by email to your current Department that you will be leaving and ask them to send a transfer form to your new Department. Your new Department will then send the paperwork to Registry Services for approval and processing. If approval is needed from Special Cases Committee the form will be forwarded to Special Cases Administration. When the transfer is approved Student Finance England will be informed so that your Student Support can be reassessed.

If you are transferring to a programme which is similar to your previous programme then the Special Cases Committee will expect that any repeat study will be avoided if possible. This means that you may need to replace modules which you have previously studied with elective modules.

Who to contact

For academic progress issues you should talk to your supervisor.

Alternatively, please contact:

  • Student Hub
    Student Hub, Market Square
  • Tel: 01904 324140
  • Office Hours: Term time: 9am - 5pm, Monday to Thursday, 10am - 5pm Friday
    Office hours: Vacation: 10am - 4pm, Monday to Friday