Skip to content Accessibility statement
Home>Study at York>Accommodation>Care leavers and estranged students

Care leavers and estranged students

We're here to help make the move to your new home at York hassle free.

Our accommodation guarantee for care leavers and estranged students

If you apply to York as a new first-year undergraduate student for 2022/23 entry and receive an offer from us, we will guarantee you an offer of a room in single-occupancy accommodation that is owned, managed or approved by the University, provided that you complete the following steps by 9 June 2022:

  • accept York as your firm choice
  • submit your accommodation application and pay an advance payment of £200 to secure your room

You'll be able to stay in University accommodation for 365 days of the year should you need to. Find out more about applying for accommodation.

Opportunity for all

Here at York we are dedicated to widening access to higher education regardless of background or individual circumstance.


Contact us

Fran Hornsby
Student Adviser for care leavers and estranged students
+44(0) 1904 324140

Accommodation Services
01904 322165

Just let us know

The sooner we know that you're a registered care leaver or an estranged student, the better we'll be able to help. Even if you're making a late application, let us know your situation as soon as possible.

You can let us know about your situation in the supporting comments section of your accommodation application. You can also get in touch via email at or by phone on +44 (0)1904 322165.

Picking a let length

Our 40 and 44-week lets cover both the Easter and Christmas vacation while our 50-week lets cover summer too. Even If you want to live in York over the summer, you can still include shorter let lengths in your preferences. You can apply to live on campus for the summer nearer the time. 

Many students will move into private sector accommodation for their second year. As you won't know what your plans are yet, we'd advise you to select a 40 or 44-week let length to keep your options open. We suggest you don't choose a 38-week let length as this would mean moving your belongings out of your room during Easter. 

We understand you may require additional information to help make your accommodation choices and are happy to discuss individual requirements.

Deferring your advance payment

We ask for a £200 advance payment when you accept your room. If you'll struggle to pay for this, simply let us know in the supporting comments section when you apply for accommodation. We can defer the payment until your first term's rent is due in October.

Accommodation after first year 

Private sector accommodation

After your first year, you may want to rent shared private sector accommodation with your friends. Contracts for these tenancies normally start in July and require a UK based rent guarantor.

If you don't have a UK based guarantor, the University will act as your guarantor through the Rent Guarantee Scheme.

University accommodation

If you decide you'd like to live on campus again after your first year, we open applications for continuing students in November each year. You can apply as an individual, or as a group with friends.

Summer accommodation

If you're undecided about where you want to live after first year, or want to stay on campus over summer, we open applications for summer accommodation after Easter each year.

Need someone to speak to?

Whether it's help with your accommodation application, or a question about coming to, or living at university, Fran - our Care Leaver and Estranged Student Adviser, is your dedicated contact.

You can email Fran at Alternatively, you can give her a call on +44(0) 1904 324140.

Visit our Care Leavers web page     

Visit our Estranged Students web page     

Contact us

Fran Hornsby
Student Adviser for care leavers and estranged students
+44(0) 1904 324140

Accommodation Services
01904 322165