Things to consider before making your accommodation application.
Campus is quick and easy to get around by foot, bike or free shuttle bus. It takes roughly 20-25 minutes to walk from Campus West to Campus East. Colleges aren't related to departments - you can apply to live in any, no matter what you study. Teaching can take place anywhere on campus, so you might want to consider the location of things like the Library, shops and sports facilities.
Ensuite or shared bathroom?
- Shared bathroom bedrooms have a wash basin in the bedroom and bathroom facilities are shared with the flat. Bathrooms are individually lockable and cleaned every weekday.
- Ensuite bedrooms have a toilet, wash basin and shower in the bedroom and are cleaned periodically. It's your job to keep them clean otherwise.
Catered or self-catered?
All rooms have access to a shared kitchen. If your accommodation is self-catered, you'll need to make your own meals, or buy them from our catering outlets. If you're catered, you'll be served breakfast and an evening meal (Monday to Friday, during term time) in your college’s dining hall. It's a great opportunity to socialise with college members from outside your flat.
Other catering options
If you're a first year undergraduate living on Campus East, you'll get a weekly college meal included in the price of your rent. If you're self-catered, you may want to check out the Meals in Advance Deal.
Weekly College Meal (Campus East)
All first years living on Campus East have one evening meal per week (during term time) included in their rent. This is a great way to meet people in your wider college community.
Each college has its own evening. If you can't make it, you can go to another college's weekly meal. Meals are served in the Piazza building between 5 and 8pm.
Please note: These rooms are otherwise self-catered.
Meals in Advance Deal
Unsure about a catered room, but want the comfort of regular meals for a period of time? The Meals in Advance Deal allows you to purchase meals on a term by term basis, with savings of up to 18%.
You can buy termly matches of breakfast and/or dinner, redeemable across four different catering outlets on campus.
It can be a good option if you want to assure regular meals for when you first arrive, or to take the hassle of cooking away during exam time.
- 40 and 44 week lets (most of our rooms) cover the academic year and Easter and Christmas vacations.
- 50 week lets (some of our rooms) extend into most of the summer vacation as well.
- 38-week lets (a small number of rooms) in Vanbrugh College need to be vacated for two weeks during Easter break.
- Band 1 rooms are our value option, you may share facilities such as your kitchen with a few more people than other price bands.
- Band 2 rooms are in some of our blocks where the University first began, like band 1 you'll be likely to share facilities with a few more people than bands 3 and 4.
- Band 3 rooms are our most common type. They're newer or more recently refurbished than economy rooms and facilities are shared with fewer people.
- Band 4 rooms have larger (3/4) size beds as well as a TV (with license) and sofas in shared kitchen areas.
Some of our colleges are home to residential learning communities built around shared interests where students live and learn together.
We have twin rooms available upon request in several colleges. They cost 80% of the usual room price (per student).
A twin room has two beds in one room, shared by students of the same gender. Ensuite rooms contain a bathroom or wet room which you'll both share. Non-ensuite rooms will have a washbasin and access to shared bathroom facilities with other students in the flat.
We have a few different styles of accommodation:
- Corridor-style layout
Rooms on a corridor with shared kitchens on the corridor. Often floors can be accessed by all residents within the building.
- Flat-style layout
Rooms grouped together on one floor, with shared kitchen facilities and an entrance door to the flat.
- House-style layout
Rooms on more than one floor within a building, with shared kitchen facilities and one common external entrance door.
You'll be the only student with a key to your bedroom.
You can use our online accommodation application system to let us know about anything else you would like us to take into consideration.
Some of our rooms are accessible, equipped for students with additional requirements. They include the same facilities but may have, for example, a grab rail or larger wet room. Depending on demand, students may be allocated an accessible room without requiring one.