Preparing for the fairs
You'll get more out of the recruitment fair if you spend a bit of time preparing in advance:
How does graduate recruitment work and why do employers come to fairs?
We've created a range of resources to help you understand how graduate recruitment works, including?
What jobs can you do with your degree, and how do you choose?
If you want some inspiration for ideas of what you could be doing when you graduate, or while you are still with us at York, take a look at these?
- Check out our podcast, What do you actually do? where we interview graduates for career inspiration, top tips and insider knowledge in a wide range of jobs and sectors.
Talking to employers
- Job fairs offer you the chance to talk to company employees in a fairly informal environment. You'll be able to find out about the organisation and the roles they're offering. And you'll get a better feel for the culture of the organisation and whether it's a good fit for you.
- Do your research beforehand - check who's coming to the fair. Use company websites to find out as much as possible about the company: its work, values, culture and current news or challenges. You can then talk to employers at the fair to ask further questions - and show them you've already been motivated enough to find out about their organisation!
- Have a shortlist of employers you're especially interested in, but keep an open mind and look at others too - they might have just what you're looking for.
- If you feel nervous about approaching an employer at the fair, help is available! Whether you find the situation difficult because of a disability or health condition, anxiety or any other reason, come and talk to us on the Careers and Placements stand. A member of our team will be happy to have a chat with you and then help initiate your conversation with an employer.