The Academic Skills Community, or ASC, is the University of York approach to learning and communication support designed to help you advance your academic, language and interpersonal abilities.
This approach has been created to engage you with people from different backgrounds, nationalities, degree types and disciplines. The community contains four main elements:
for you, whenever and
wherever you need them.
for tighter teamwork
for personalised writing,
maths and study coaching.
Our resources, workshops, groups and one-to-one support are all available online and have been built to complement the Together York Community Declaration.
Our self-assessment tool is designed to teach you about the six Academic Skills Community development areas, and check how confident you feel with your academic and communication skills.
Once completed, we'll send you your custom self-development plan to get things underway, including:
- invitations to workshops that'll best help you develop your skills
- recommendations of groups to join, to help you meet and learn from other students across the University.
- Subscribe to the Academic Skills Community digest for news, workshop details, booking links, updates from across the University support teams and much more.
The Academic Skills Community brings together staff, workshops, resources and support from the University. These are:
- the Library
- the Writing Centre
- the Maths Skills Centre
- the Careers and Placements Team
- integrity@york (for Integrity tutorials, referencing and Turnitin)