Accessibility statement

Step by step guide to requesting individual arrangements

Step 1

You need to obtain supporting evidence of the condition that you believe will affect your performance. Evidence from the Open Door Team is not accepted; evidence must be from a medical professional. If you are dyslexic you will need a diagnostic assessment undertaken after your 11th birthday

Step 2

Book an appointment with Disability Services and take your supporting documentation to this appointment. Disability Services will advise you of the steps that you need to take and the options available to you. They will produce a Student Support Plan (SSP) outlining the adjustments they recommend. You will be asked to agree to this document, and to consent to it being shared within the University. 

Step 3

Disability Services will share the SSP with your department and the Exams Office, who will seek approval for the recommendations from the Standing Committee on Assessment. 

Step 4

If the recommendation is not accepted, your department will advise you as soon as possible. 

If the recommendation is accepted you will be advised by email, and the Exams Office will add the arrangements to your student record. If you have exams upcoming, please make sure you take the steps outlined in Step 2 with enough time to enable your SSP to be shared at least six working weeks before the start of the exam period, to give the Exams Office enough time to seek approval and put your arrangements in place. 

Step 5

When your exam timetable is released you will need to check it carefully. In most cases, students with an individual exam arrangement will be seated in a different room to the rest of the cohort and may have different start and/or end times. Please check your individual timetable on e:Vision for your room and times. It is important that you attend your exam at the time and place stated on your individual timetable. If you attend the main venue of the exam your arrangements will not be available, even if the exam you are taking is being sat in that room by other students. 

Where can I get further guidance?

If you feel you need more help in putting forward your request for individual arrangements in examinations, please contact

Students’ Union Advice Centre


Disability Services

Block B

Sally Baldwin Buildings

University of York

York YO10 5DD

+44 (0)1904 324785