Our pre-arrival checklist will make your journey to York as easy as possible.

Travelling to the UK

Have you...

See our Immigration advice for more information.

48 hours before you travel, you will need to provide your journey and contact details to the UK Government.

You must print a copy or show it on your phone.

Find full information on entering the UK on the Gov.uk website.

Read our advice about travelling to the UK

You will need to check with your local border control or tax organisation.

Read the UK passport control student arrival guide for a smoother journey through border control.

Having the correct documents to hand will help make your transition through the UK border as quick and easy as possible. See our list of what to bring.

Find out more about getting to York on our travelling to York page, including:

Manchester Airport has the easiest onward connection to York. A train runs directly from Manchester Airport to York city centre.


Have you...

For help with payments, see paying the University.

For tuition fee payment dates, see our tuition fees page. 

For full information about finances, see our Essential Financial Information booklet - you can download it on the new undergraduates or new postgraduates welcome pages.

Make sure you have enough cash or travellers cheques with you to last the one to two weeks it may take for your UK bank account to open once you're here. See information about opening a UK bank account in our support for international students pages.

Remember that if you're travelling from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and bring more than €10,000 in cash or travellers cheques, you will need to declare the amount at UK customs control.

Unfortunately, there are people in the world who make a living by tricking others out of money. International students are often targeted but you can learn to recognise scams and protect yourself against them.

Read our advice for all students Scammers - they’re after your money to find out what to be aware of.


Have you...

If you require medical treatment in the UK, a full up-to-date vaccination record (in English, if possible) will help to get you the best care possible.

If you are an EU citizen, studying in the UK for six months or less, you must obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in your country of residence before travelling to the UK. This card enables you to qualify for free NHS care for the duration of your stay (up to six months). 

An EHIC is not an alternative to travel insurance and it is advised that you should have both during your stay.

See healthcare for international students in our support for international students pages for more information.

You may need additional vaccinations and screenings before arriving in the UK as part of your Student Visa application. For more information, see the Gov.uk website.

You will need to arrange private medical insurance if you haven't paid the Immigration Health Surcharge as part of your visa application.

See healthcare for international students in our support for international students pages for more information.

It is important to keep your medication close to you. You may face problems without confirmation of medicinal intent. 

We recommend bringing one month's supply of your regular medication to allow time to for you to register with and see a doctor. See our information on healthcare in York.

Arriving in York

Have you...

Accommodation must be arranged prior to travelling to the UK. For help, see our accommodation information for international students.

If you want to live off campus, see our advice on finding somewhere to live in the private sector.

If you prefer to find somewhere to live after you arrive in York, make sure you pre-book guest house accommodation so you have somewhere to stay while you look.

All international students are expected to attend the orientation to university life and study at the start of term. See information about our welcome for international students.

Living in York

Have you...

If you will be living on campus, personal possessions insurance is included in the price of your University accommodation.

If you will be living off campus, it is highly advisable to insure your personal belongings. You could arrange travel insurance before you come to the UK or buy contents insurance or student insurance after you arrive. Try cost comparison sites such as MoneySuperMarket and GoCompare to compare prices.

If you're an undergraduate, our student buddying scheme will help you settle in to York from the start. Your buddy will be a second or third year student and you can ask for someone from a similar background in the same department as you or someone with similar interests.

Sign up for a buddy

If your child is under 16 and going to be with you in York for more than six months then they should enrol in a local school. See information on schools and childcare in our support for international students pages.

Volunteering is a great way to get to know York, and we offer schemes like York Students in Schools

If you would like to volunteer with children in the UK and have been resident for less than a year, you'll need a translated police check/certificate of good conduct from your home country. 

It can be difficult to obtain this whilst you are at York so it's a good idea to arrange this beforehand. For more advice, see the Centre for the Protection of National Infrastructure guide on How to obtain an overseas criminal record check.